(GN) Ch. 104 - Survive for Me

River POV

My body was on fire, melting away from the inside out. I had no way to stop the pain. All I could do was try and endure it. Drake's hand ran through my fur, offering the comfort of our brotherhood, and then I felt his strength fortifying my bones. He was an idiot that knew this would end him.

I heard voices around us but was too far gone to comprehend what was happening. Suddenly, a surge of power ran through me. Drake poured everything he had into me, and Chaos growled viscously that my brother would be so stupid to sacrifice himself for me. I wasn't deserving of this world, and I should be the last to be spared.

'Rip his throat out and eat her heart.' Drake commanded, and then his body fell to the side.

I turned to face a woman and a man looking surprisingly at me. They thought they could take advantage of our weakened state, and now they will pay. No one hurts my family.

I lunged at the man, tearing a chunk of skin from his shoulder. The woman grabbed my fur and pulled me swiftly off him. She had power inside her, dark and cold energy.

I growled at her, ready to rip her heart out just as my brother asked, but my legs faltered.

"Is that all you have?" The woman laughed at me.

I shook my head and attacked again. A burst of energy raced through my veins, but it wasn't enough. I was too weak even to take down a little girl.

"I would be careful of your next steps, Katherine." Lizzy was behind her, blood and leaves stuck to her body. She looked like she had been through hell, and worry instantly had my heart beating too fast.

"How are you alive!" Katherine growled, her nails elongating and body preparing to shift.

"Kiera protected me. Darkness will never prevail when there is light." Lizzy held out some crystal ball object in her palm. "Leave and don't return, or I will destroy everything." She ordered, and she looked damn fine taking the lead.

I sat back on my hind legs, my muscles already sore from the few attempts I tried to fight. I had no idea what was happening, but I knew our lives were on the line.

"You know you can't beat me." Katherine shook her head at her. "You are afraid." She taunted as she stepped closer to her.

"I know what you want. Your Alpha is bleeding out, and this crystal holds your power over the forest. Stay and fight us, maybe take one or two of us out, but in the end, you won't survive. Or take your Alpha and leave the North forever." Lizzy bounced the crystal in her hands.

"Don't mess with that." Katherine reached for the crystal, and Lizzy quickly spun to my side.

"You might have some dark power juicing you up, but I've been a Delta warrior my whole life. I don't need brute strength to beat you." Lizzy warned as she locked eyes with Katherine.

"Give me it, now!" Katherine ordered, her Alpha gasping for air at her feet.

"Catch!" Lizzy shouted as she threw it high in the air. Katherine moved directly under it while Lizzy shoved me back into the bathroom. I howled in pain and then collapsed next to my brother.

"You guys are a mess." She looked over us half dead. Chase's hands hung over the tub, and breaths were barely visible.

I watched Lizzy jump into action, quickly unplugging the drain and lifting Chase's head to place a necklace with a red crystal around it. She moved to Drake, slapping his face a few times before laying the same crystal over his chest.

"The darkness has to be the cause of this. Dietus must have put a fail-safe plan if you failed. This has to work!" She growled as she placed the crystal over my neck. "Didn't Kiera tell you to wear these?" She shook her head, and I tried my hardest to smile at her. Lizzy was always here to save us.