(GN) Ch. 96 - Anastasia

Kiera POV

"Momma, please don't leave me." A small child pleaded. Her blue eyes streamed large teardrops.

"You rotten little girl shut your mouth and behave." Some vile woman, tall with brown hair, spoke harshly at the child.

"Do you need a slap to remind you of your place?" A man, larger than any I had ever seen, sneered at the little girl.

"This is the girl?" Another man, skinny with a cheap suit, entered the room. I looked around in a haze not understanding where I was, or who any of these people are.

"Yes, she holds great power. Something rare and very valuable." The mother answered with a sly smile.

"Well, I don't see anything special about her. We could use her as a maid until she is of age. How old is she?" The thin man asked.

"She is worth more than the value of some maid." The woman counter.

"Lady, you've brought me three kids already, and each you swore was something special. I've paid you enough. Take the cash or leave." The man dropped a few stacks of hundred dollar bills on the table they stood around.

"Maybe someone else with proper funds would have more use for her." The woman grabbed the child, yanking her arm out of the dilapidated building they met in.

"I knew she was useless. This stupid hair of hers means nothing." The large man raised his hand and smacked the child hard across the face. So hard that I felt the sting and tear drops. My hand covered my cheek, and when I opened my eyes, I was looking up at him. I was the child!

Then, a fierce woman with glowing purple eyes appeared before me. She had just placed a long wooden board on the door we left out of. "Such a vile person doesn't deserve to live in my world." Her hand rose with a sword, and she swiftly removed the man's head.

I gasped in horror, unsure what I had just witnessed or who I even was.

"Are you okay, Kiera? I won't let anyone hurt you ever again." Her hand came to my cheek as the woman next to us screamed. The woman who saved me threw a dagger from her side, landing it in her heart. Tears raced out of my eyes, and I was frozen in disbelief.

"It's ok. I know they were your parents, but they did horrible things to children just like you. We have to move. Are you ready?"

"Ready?" My small voice asked.

"Ready to go home?" She held out her hand.

I looked at my parents, both dead on the floor, and I didn't feel an ounce of remorse for them. I lifted my shaky hand to her. "Ready." I nervously responded.

I could feel the weight lifted from my chest. Was there a chance I was saved? The horrors of my childhood seemed to wash away, and freedom felt so close I could taste it.

"You're a brave girl. We will get along just fine, won't we?" The woman smiled at me, looking like a goddess in my eyes. "My name is Anastasia. We can meet more properly once we are someplace safe." She lifted me in her arms and ran as fast as the wind away from the building.

An explosion went off behind us, flames engulfing my old life. My little eyes watched in joy that all those vile people who had beaten my small body were gone forever.

As we ran, the world whirled around me, and I found myself in a kitchen. I was a little older, but only by a few months. My clothes were new, my skin clear, and my hair nicely brushed. I felt happiness radiate from my soul.

"Are you making brownies again?" Anastasia just came home, and I jumped in her arms. I couldn't remember everything, but I knew she was the nicest woman I ever met. She was everything I wanted to be. The warmth of her hug felt like it filled every cell in my body, and I thought my life would be perfect.