(GN) Ch. 135 - Lost

Drake POV

Laying beside Kiera was everything I needed. I felt like an asshole for the way we treated her in the beginning, but she just let it all go and caved to us. It was odd, like we slipped into a different universe where everything snapped together. I thought she would remain pissed at us, especially since she rejected us, but that wasn't the case. I could see the longing and tiredness in her eyes. She didn't want to fight fate any more than we did.

The most surprising was how quickly River switched sides. The second Kiera showed him that she needed him, everything he felt disappeared. I could see how my brother just let it all go too. In this alternate universe we entered, it appeared Chase was right all along. We needed to tell her the truth, and then we needed to bow at her feet. She was our goddess.

"I still think your idea is stupid," River said as we walked down a long dark tunnel.

"It's not stupid, and it's too late. Just do as you're told, River!" Kiera retorted back.

"As I'm told? I'm the Alpha," River practically yelled back to her.

"An annoying Alpha," Kiera mumbled, making River growl at her.

The two of them argued for the last ten miles. I honestly didn't know how either of them had the energy.

"We are close. Can you two try to shut your mouths?" Elizabeth spoke with as much annoyance as we all felt. Then she cleared her throat and added, "Alpha and Luna."

"She's insufferable," River whispered, and both the women shushed him.

"Just ahead is the latch." Becky stopped us for a moment, speaking in a hushed tone. "According to the maps, it will lead right up to the library. We enter and head straight for the Alpha's room. Everyone ready?" She asked, looking around at the horde of people behind us.

"Last chance, Kiera. Let us go ahead, and you will stay here. Any trouble you can bust through." River's tone turned pleading to her. He was a total dick the whole way here, then, like magic, morphed into some worried mate.

"No! I want to take Jackson alive." She looked at us with nothing but determination. I understood her need to remove his mark, but it wasn't worth losing her.

"Fine, let's get this over with." River stepped in front of her. "Chase at her side and Drake behind." He ordered us, and we stepped in place. Kiera would be kept safely inside our circle.

"Seriously!" Kiera whined.

"Don't... piss... me... off," River warned her.

Kiera rolled her eyes but followed after him. She had to mock him by repeating his words in an exaggerated tone, though. Chase chuckled at her, and I damn near rolled my eyes at the ridiculousness of them.

River moved up the hatched first, then Chase and I helped to lift Kiera as they pulled her up. She wasn't happy with the kid glove treatment, but she needed to get used to it. I can't explain how deeply rooted the need to protect her went inside our souls.

Soldiers began pouring in, walking stealthily and dividing between the rooms.

"It seems quiet." I pointed out. Not even a bug was chirping.

"It's the middle of the night," Kiera whispered.

"No, Drake is right. It's too quiet." River pulled a knife from his waist.

"The main rooms are up two flights of stairs. Let's move quickly." Kiera ignored our concern and stepped out of the circle.

Chase grabbed her arm, putting her back in place. The look on his face didn't hold an ounce of playfulness, and I wasn't sure if I had ever seen him like this. "Don't move from our side." He ordered her.