(GN) Ch. 93 - Dark Forest

Kiera POV

I ran from River's room, fear and anger filling me. I think River was my fated! Drake's and Chase's attraction to me wasn't from the forest; it was from their brother. I liked River the least of the three, but I didn't want to kill him either.

I was utterly lost during training. Becky had to keep bringing me back to reality when I stood there staring off into space. After two hours, she put Andy in charge and brought me back to the barracks to relax.

"I know we haven't been the closest, Kiera, but if you want to talk about what's happening, I swear you can trust me. I hate seeing you like this."

I heard Becky's words but didn't fully comprehend them. "What?"

"Something is wrong, Kiera. Do you want me to get the doctor?" She asked, concern filling her eyes.

"No, that's ok, I'm ok. I just realized something horrible." I looked to the baby's room, which had three nurses tending to them. I needed to pull myself together.

"Are we all set to leave?" I asked Becky.

"Almost. Nurse Beth enlisted two others from the medical ward to come and help watch over them. Andy has most of the route drawn out. I helped him make two alternatives, too. Things in the North change quickly, so we might need to wing it a bit. Everyone has been grabbing extra food for the trip, so we have about a week's worth stocked up."

"What else do we need? We should leave tomorrow."

Becky came to sit next to me on the bottom bunk bed. "What happened, Kiera? Let me help you."

I swallowed hard, not able to find the words. I didn't know if it was even true. I felt this hole inside me, though, and Athena was quiet. Even my wolf wasn't sure what was happening. There was something off with the brothers, something off with me and how I felt for them.

"I just need to go home. It's not safe for me here." I said with tears in my eyes. Athena agreed it was best just to cut ties and leave, too. I think she feared I wouldn't be able to survive another heartbreak.

"Ok, we can go tomorrow then. Whatever you need, but don't be afraid, Kiera. None of us will let you be harmed. I think even the Alphas will protect you."

"That's what I'm afraid of," I whispered under my breath, but she could still hear me.

"Do they want you to stay?" Becky asked gently. Everyone knew I didn't like talking about them.

"Maybe, but I can't. I have to leave and finish this before it's too late."

"Ok, then we will go."

"I should shower and get ready. The boys are taking me to see the oracles, and I need to be focused. This is my only chance to get some answers from them." I stood to pack a bag. I just needed clothes to change into, but I felt like I needed to start clearing out of here.

"The boys!" Becky teased, and I shot her a look. "Sorry." She chuckled. "If you want to stay, we will stay too. Just know we aren't making you choose because we have already chosen you."

"Thank you. That means a lot, Becky. We need to return home, though. Those babies belong there too, and I need to finally close the horrors of my past."

"Jackson?"

"Yeah, Jackson," I said his name with sorrow, grabbing clothes and heading to the showers. He played me a fool, and a part of me missed it. I shouldn't feel the way I did, but I couldn't help it when my life constantly seemed to turn upside down.

I thought of him when I knew I shouldn't.

"You look ravishing, sweetheart." His deep, masculine tone was in my ear. Jackson always spoke so sweetly with a demand to have me. His arms would wrap around me, offering me a comfort I desperately needed in this world.