(GN) Ch. 158 - Rightful Paths

River POV

I couldn't believe I was alive or that Kiera had walked through time to change our fates. The past three days had been a blur of relentless activity as we worked tirelessly to clean up the devastation left behind by Katherine and Deitus. The undead were incinerated, fallen pack members were laid to rest with honor, and the wounded were fully healed.

Kiera had shared with us the harrowing tale of her three months spent enduring a world without us and our child. The revelation that she had miscarried, confirming her womb mended by the darkness of Dietus, filled me with a rage unlike anything I had ever felt before. The mere thought of my son's life hanging in the balance, sustained only by the influence of a dark entity, ignited a primal instinct within me. I knew now, more than ever, that I had to protect him at all costs.

"You look worried, Alpha," Elizabeth's voice interrupted my thoughts as she appeared at my office doorway. Her wounds had healed, and she exuded a sense of readiness, dressed in a sophisticated business suit with her brown hair neatly wound in a tight bun. Her stoic expression betrayed her determination to return to business as usual.

"I am. You look good. I don't like seeing your face beaten and bruised as it was," I remarked, unable to suppress a smile at the sight of her well-being.

"A true warrior has many wounds in battle," Elizabeth replied coyly, a fleeting smile gracing her lips before her expression returned to its usual stoicism.

"Of course, I assume you have a status update," I said, acknowledging her discomfort at my presence. The internal struggle between duty and emotion was palpable. While my heart belonged to Kiera, Elizabeth's resilience and dedication to the pack were commendable. Her selflessness in suppressing any jealousy was a testament to her strength.

"We are all set. Cement and crystals are mixed, and trucks are loaded. We move out in a few hours," she reported efficiently.

"And you will be leaving," I said sadly, knowing it was the necessary course of action but still feeling the weight of losing my closest confidante.

"Yes, once your son is born, we will place the final section of the wall and lock Dietus away forever. The four of you can come and inspect the darkness. If all goes as planned, it should be contained within the dark forest and have no sway over any of you again," Elizabeth explained, her voice carrying a sense of determination.

"And after? Will you stay as head general of the North?" I asked, though I already knew the answer. Elizabeth was grappling with her sense of purpose, and being second to Kiera was undoubtedly difficult for her to accept on a daily basis.

"You know I can't. I will keep the North protected until you can return, though," she vowed, her commitment unwavering.

"I appreciate everything you've done, Lizzy. I'll miss our time together. I'll miss our friendship," I said solemnly, a pang of sadness settling in my chest.

"Me too," she replied, and I could sense the weight of our impending separation in her words.

"Take care of yourself. Call us for any reason. We won't ever leave you in need. Your Luna is as devoted to you as my brothers and I are," I assured her, stepping closer and enveloping her in a hug. It was the last embrace I would share with her, a bittersweet reminder of the bond we had shared since childhood. But now, our paths diverged, and it was time for us to part ways.

"I will, I promise. Goodbye, River," Elizabeth said, her voice tinged with emotion as she held back tears.

Before I could respond, Kiera stormed into the room, her presence immediately shifting the atmosphere. We both cleared our throats and quickly moved away from each other, sensing the tension in the air.

"Elizabeth is heading out. She will stay in the North..." I began explaining, but I was interrupted by a deathly growl from Athena. She wasn't pleased to see us hugging, even though it was a gesture of farewell between old friends.

"No! This was goodbye! Are you leaving us for good, Lizzy?" Athena demanded her emotions a tumultuous mix of anger and sadness, leaving us all bewildered. With her pregnancy, it was evident she would be a whirlwind of emotions in the coming months, each day growing more unstable than the last.

"I... no," Elizabeth quickly responded, fear evident in her eyes.

"Don't lie to me," Kiera interjected, her eyes softening to the crystal blue of her human side. "I want you to stay," she practically whined, vulnerability creeping into her tone.

My heart swelled with affection for Kiera as I chuckled at her, my arm instinctively reaching out to pull her into me. Sparks of our bond ignited from my fingertips to her stomach, the familiar warmth calming me in ways words couldn't describe.

"Lizzy will protect the North until we can return. We discussed this, Princess. There is no one else we trust more than her to rule where we cannot," I spoke softly, my words infused with the immense love I felt for my mate.

"I know, and it's true," Kiera acknowledged, her gaze shifting to Elizabeth. "We don't trust anyone as we do you. Promise me we will see you again. Promise you'll meet our son at least once before disappearing," Kiera pleaded, her voice tinged with urgency and a hint of guilt.

"I promise, Luna," Elizabeth vowed, her hand reaching over to grasp Kiera's, a silent affirmation of their bond.

The depth of Kiera's gratitude towards Elizabeth for keeping the South alive during those three months was immeasurable. Kiera attributed our survival to Elizabeth alone, and I could sense the weight of the debt she felt towards her. It was imperative that we find a way to repay it, or Kiera would be consumed by guilt.

"Safe travels. May the goddess watch over you," Kiera said as she embraced Elizabeth tightly. "I'll miss you, my friend," she added with a note of sadness.

"So will I. Take care of this little Alpha. He is going to be a force not to reckon with," Elizabeth winked at Kiera before casting me one last glance and departing.

"I know she is someone you hold close to your heart," Kiera remarked, her fingers intertwining with mine. "Athena still gets a little jealous, but we feel appreciation more than anything, River. Without Elizabeth, none of us would be where we are."

"You played a big part in saving us too, princess. We are all lucky to have so many fierce women at our side," I said, giving her a smile before adding, "even if it's annoying as hell."

"Please, you love it," she retorted playfully, turning to face me. Her arms wrapped around my neck, and she rose onto her tiptoes to reach my height.

"I do, but I love you way more," I confessed, still marveling at how deeply I had fallen for her.

"Yeah, I think you should prove that," Kiera murmured softly, her lips brushing against mine like a feather.

"Tonight, my love," I grunted in response, lowering my head to suck hard on her bare neck. The doctor had given her and Sebastian a clean bill of health yesterday. Since then, my brothers and I have been teasing her relentlessly to ignite her heat to its fullest. We were eager to claim her, to mark her as ours when she was at the peak of desperation.

"Promise, baby, I'm dying to feel you completely," she pleaded, her arousal thickening the air between us.

"Mmm, yes, tonight will be perfect," I affirmed, unable to contain my own desire to finally be one.