(GN) Ch. 78 - Choices

River POV

"Alpha, you wanted to see me?" Elizabeth entered my study, her short body in a black business suit and red shirt.

"Yes, come in." I cleared my throat as she took a seat. This was awkward. I can't remember a time when things were ever uncomfortable between us.

"The other Alphas are waiting for you in the grand hall. Do you want me to alert your brothers?" She was straight to business, like always. I liked that about her: there was no drama or exaggerated emotions between us. Things were different now.

"Not yet. We should talk, Lizzy." I slump some in my chair, using her casual name to show I didn't call her here to talk pack life.

"I take it that things have progressed with Kiera?"

"In a way. It's complicated. The more I learn, the more confused I am."

"Did you mark her?" Lizzy cut straight to the point. She was never much for beating around the bush.

"No, of course not."

"But you want to?" Her eyes widened at me. She knew what I was feeling without having to say a word. Still, things didn't feel right between us, and I can't have that, we needed to talk about this.

"Yes." My eyes cast down in shame. I brought my hands on top of my desk to lean forward. "I can't lose you, and I'm at a loss on what to do here. I don't want to hold you back or lead you on."

"If there was no prophecy, would you have marked her? Do you desire to have her instead of me?" She spoke confidently like it was a simple question about what to eat for dinner.

"I think so, but I would still want you too. Lizzy, I don't think anyone could ever know me like you do."

She looked me over a minute, then laughed right in my face. "Are you serious? Chaos is such an asshole!" She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at me.

"What? I'm not trying to hurt you. I just want to be honest and figure out what to do with us."

"Right!" She nearly rolled her eyes at me, but Elizabeth wasn't a brat.

"I'm missing something here."

"Chaos wants us both, doesn't he? That asshole really excepts me to be your Second Luna. A title that you use to find disgusting and degrading of a woman." Her words were filled with anger.

"No!" I quickly said, then leaned back to think.

'We could have them both.' Chaos chuckled in my head. This asshole did want to mark them both.

'I would never do that to Lizzy or Kiera.' I growled back at my wolf.

"River, you can't have us both. You have to choose, and it seems you already have."

"I haven't, and I won't mark her, Lizzy."

"And why haven't you rejected her?"

I couldn't answer that because the truth was, I didn't want to reject Kiera. I was a selfish Alpha dick. I wanted them both.

"I can't." My jaw tightened to the point my teeth felt like they would crack.

"I left so we could take some time apart to figure out what you wanted. Honestly, I figured you would choose her; she is your fated, after all. We should drop this conversation and just move on River. You'll get over me once you mark her."

"That's not true, Lizzy. You're more than just a girlfriend, and you know that. Chaos and I need you. I'm barely keeping him at bay, and he has already threatened to take over."

"He just wants his mate, River." The sadness in her eyes was unbearable. I didn't want to be the one that hurt her, not ever or in any way. I can't force her at my side, though, and she deserved so much more than to share me with another woman, a woman I would come to care for more than her.

"He does want you both, and I can't claim Kiera," I admitted.

"So, what? I should wait around for you to finally reject her, or she dies?"

The thought of Kiera's death rattled everything inside me. My fist came to my desk. "She won't die!"

"Of course not. She has you and your brothers to protect her." Lizzy stood. "I like how you redid the office. I assume you had a fit of rage?" She looked around while shaking her head at me. She knew what destruction my wolf craved.

"Yes, after I slept with Kiera, I dismantled everything in sight because I betrayed you."

"It wasn't a betrayal, and I don't hate you. Just don't ask me to be your second, and we are ok with each other."

I stood, walking to her, feeling her already putting distance between us. "Lizzy, I'll figure this out. Just give me a chance to make it right." My hands grabbed her waist, pulling her into me. I felt her body relaxing, her breaths steady as she gave into my embrace.

"I can't wait long, River. I don't want to put you in a position to choose. I do love you, but I can't be with someone who doesn't love back."

"You know I love you." I looked at her, allowing my walls to crumble. I couldn't hide from her; I didn't want to hide how I felt.

"I do, but it's not the same, and you know it. We have to address the Alphas, so this conversation can wait until later." She pulled away from my arms, and I can't explain how much that hurt. I was being unfair, and I knew it, but I just couldn't imagine not having her by my side.

"Just give me a few days. I promise I'll make this right."

"Ok." She gave me a complacent smile. I knew her too. She was already trying to let me go, appeasing me until it was her time to leave.

"Just don't leave me," I asked lowly, almost in a plea, as she walked to the door.

"I'm right here, River, but I can't be second in your life. I hope you can respect that and let me make my own choices." She said, then walked out.

I closed my eyes and cursed my wolf for being so difficult. I hated the fated bond and this whole prophecy hanging over our heads.

If I could mark Elizabeth knowing without a doubt, I would reject Kiera; then I would do it this second. The thought of rejecting Kiera was as painful as the thought of losing Elizabeth though. She was right; I couldn't have them both, and I had to choose. Reject one, claim one, but how can I make that choice?

'Kiera will always be first. You've made your choice, so don't do anything stupid.' Chaos warned me. Kiera was his first choice, but Elizabeth was mine. How can that even be possible that we don't agree?