Ch. 30 - Haunting of the South

Chase POV

"Where is our little Beta traitor?" I asked, twirling a thorny white rose in my hand. It reminded me of Kiera and I liked its beauty even as it stabbed my fingers.

"Alpha Jackson requested his services and is unable to get away." Katherine stood before me, prim and proper with the right kind of sex appeal.

"Where is our little Alpha?" My playful tone tinged with annoyance.

"He and the other Alphas are taking protection in our old pack house."

"Old pack house?" I was curious now. I never heard of a territory having two pack houses.

"It's said to be haunted," she explained, a hint of fear in her voice. "The Alpha and Luna of the old South were brutally murdered there. Some claim the Luna walks the grounds, avenging her death, while others believe she emerges at night in search of her lost daughter."

"A haunted pack house? Now I've heard of everything!" I laughed at the stupid superstition.

"I've been there, Chase. There's something not right with the place." Katherine now looked haunted herself.

"Did I grant you permission to address me so casually?" I confronted her, advancing with deliberate steps, the soft petals sliding over her youthful face with ominous intensity.

"No, Alpha. My apologies." She bowed her head respectfully while lowering her eyes in fear of meeting my own. "The old pack house has something unusual about it." Her voice was soft and face like porcelain.

I saw the determination in her eyes though. She was ruthless, ready to step on any to gain power for herself.

"How old are you again?" I inquired, my eyes scanning over her curves with interest. She was an attractive young woman, but she paled in comparison to my mate.

"I'll be 18 in a few days." Her large hazel eyes looked to mine hopeful. She was a cunning little thing. She would be a good strategist, maybe even a wild child in bed.

"Maybe after I take the South then." I dropped the rose and let it become soiled with the dirt below us.

"I can't wait!" She bit her lip staring at me, but I scoffed at her desperation.

Kiera held such refrained confidence in her eyes, something Katherine knew nothing about.

I had to walk away the second my mate appeared in my head. I hated the control she had over me. I hated how delicious she tasted and how soft her skin felt under mine. I growled my way through the tunnels, unable to rid my thoughts of being inside her.

I took several woman to bed since I tasted my mate and none I could bring myself to fuck. I laid back like a lazy man and let one after the other suck me off, finding very little pleasure in my release.

"Bad news?" River looked at me with concern. I seemed ready to burst, but it was our little pixie casting her spell over me, not the stupid Nightmare pack.

"No!" I gritted my teeth and tried pushing Kiera from my mind.

I could feel her every second of the day, just like Drake could. I rejected her! I shouldn't be able to feel her anymore.