Ch. 1 - A Fated Night

Kiera POV

The ballroom was a storm of glitter and silk, each conversation humming with admiration. "Luna, you've outdone yourself!" a man's eyes sparkled as he nodded approvingly.

"You've truly surpassed all expectations tonight," chimed in the Alpha's wife from a neighboring pack, her gaze filled with genuine appreciation.

I glided through the crowd in my shimmering gold gown, offering smiles and greetings. This wasn't just a party; it was a declaration of hope against the growing threat of the Northern Dark Wolves.

"Truly remarkable, Luna," my Beta, Devon, approached with a flute of champagne. His dark complexion and sleek black suit made him stand out in the sea of white and gold.

"Thank you, Devon. Is Tracy enjoying herself?" I took a sip, the bubbles tickling my tongue.

"Oh, she's having the time of her life," Devon chuckled, his eyes softening as they followed his wife. "Dancing, wine, gossip; she's in her element."

Watching Devon's adoration for his wife, a pang of envy struck me. Scanning the room, I found the man I longed to be my fated. A smile tugged at my lips as our eyes met across the crowd. Jackson, my husband and Alpha, still had the power to make my heart race after all these years.

"You're absolutely ravishing, sweetheart," Jackson murmured, wrapping me in his strong arms from behind. His lips brushed against the mark on my neck. "You look like a goddess, Kiera."

In his embrace, I felt cherished, but I knew his attention would soon be needed elsewhere. A fellow Alpha approached. "We have an issue that needs attention."

"Of course," Jackson nodded, kissing my cheek. "Save me a dance, sweetheart."

"I'll save you all my dances," I replied, our lips meeting briefly.

The ballroom sparkled, but a subtle unease lingered. The evening felt heavy, like a prelude to something significant, echoing the unsettling visions of my most recent dreams; a warning of darkness to come.

"How's married life treating you and Athena?" Devon asked, his grin playful.

I chuckled. "Honestly, my wolf isn't thrilled. She dreams of a fairy tale world where we're royalty."

Devon laughed, knowing all too well the royal pain Athena could be. She would never see Jackson as our equal or Alpha. She was high and mighty, containing immeasurable strength, which was clearly wasted on me.

"We've all come a long way," Devon said, raising his glass. "And with nights like these, we're reminded of what we're fighting for."

"To unity," I clinked my glass against his, savoring the momentary peace. For as long as I can remember, our world has been divided between the North and South. Endless years of battles and war, a struggle between power and freedom.

I found my husband again and sighed in relief that I had him. I was one of the lucky ones. But then Jackson's body became stiff, his face contorting in anger as he spoke to Alpha Marcus. His gaze shifted, and my smile faltered.

A woman in a vibrant red dress with fiery hair commanding attention stood across the room, directly in my husband's line of sight. The moment I saw her, a surge of hate rushed through me. I wanted her gone, but I didn't know why.

"Who is that?" I whispered to Devon, my voice tinged with unease.

"I don't think I've met her before," Devon replied, his attention momentarily diverted from his own mate.

"Do you think Jackson has met her before? They seem..." I trailed off, watching Jackson with growing dread.

As he walked toward her, apprehension settled over me like a heavy cloak. His nervous glances only added to my unease. His gaze locked on her, filled with unmistakable lust. Tears began to well in my eyes. This couldn't be happening!

The woman's smile lit up her features, and I felt a knot tighten in my stomach. Her bright green eyes mirrored the intensity of his gaze. It was as if I were witnessing the collision of two destined souls.

"No!" I whispered, shaking my head. The only man I had ever loved stood before another woman, a woman who seemed meant for him in a way I could never be.

The room's festive atmosphere vanished the moment Jackson's eyes met hers. A smile spread across his face as he approached the beautiful stranger, his attention wholly captivated.

My heart constricted painfully and I couldn't watch them any longer. The sight of Jackson, my husband, enchanted by another woman was too much. I had to get away before the agony consumed me.