(GN) Ch. 156 - Not My Life

Kiera's POV

"I'm worried about our Luna," a woman whispered only a few rooms away. It was ridiculous how often werewolves forgot what good hearing we have.

"She is nothing but a shell. First, she loses her mate, then her child. I don't think she will survive much longer," another woman gossiped.

"Thank the goddess we have Elizabeth," a third woman added. "It would be complete anarchy in the South otherwise. Our Luna spends all her time with her nose in those books."

I sighed, jamming a book back on its shelf. Drake had shared some of his favorite stories with me, but now I couldn't recall all the titles. For the past three months, I had immersed myself in activities I knew they would have enjoyed. I planted flowers reminiscent of those Chase brought me on our first date, their vibrant hues of purple a bittersweet reminder of happier times.

I chuckled, thinking we only had one date despite our time together. I had imagined many different versions of how our second would be. His charming voice, goofy personality, and fun-loving attitude would have kept me smiling all night.

"Don't pay them any attention," Andy said, his voice startling me out of my thoughts. I hadn't even heard what else those women had been carrying on about.

"I usually don't. What are you up to?" I glanced at him, then returned my focus to my search for the perfect story to become lost in.

"Nothing much. I spent all morning training until Elizabeth kicked me off the field," Andy replied, glancing at his raw knuckles. They must have taken quite a beating for them not to have healed by now.

"She thinks we're both a little unhinged. We should probably show up for dinner tonight," I sighed, displeased at the idea of having to smile while saying, "I'm fine," a hundred times over.

"Really? I hate how they look at me."

"Us," I corrected him. "It's just one hour. Plus, it will give us a good week of no lectures from Elizabeth." I tried to smile, but I looked more awkward than anything else. I think my lips had forgotten what that was supposed to feel like.

"One hour! But tomorrow, I will get to hit the training grounds again. You have to back me on it," Andy declared.

"You want me to condone you letting all your rage out on a poor packmate?" My eyebrow quirked up at him.

"You know I need this, Kiera," I heard the desperation in his voice, and caved. It was unusual that either of us lived past a week. Our bodies had become frail, our thoughts darker, but for some reason, we were still kicking. I guess the saying "misery loves company" held some weight.

"Fine! But help me escape..." Before I could finish begging him to keep me from Elizabeth, she appeared in the room.

"There you two are," she said with a big smile, her eyes twinkling with hope that today was the day we started living again.

"Here we are," Andy replied sarcastically. It wasn't that we didn't appreciate Elizabeth. We knew we owed her everything for running the packs as she had for the last few months. It was the pity and determination to find us happiness again that we couldn't handle. Sometimes, people just want to drown in their sorrows.

"Sebastian is bringing in some fresh fish and oysters for tonight. Will you be joining us?" she asked hopeful.

"We were just discussing that. Andy and I would love to join you."

"That makes me so happy. It will be a splendid night," she continued, her excitement palpable as she detailed all the activities planned for the evening. Despite her enthusiasm, Andy and I just couldn't find it in ourselves to join her on her happy train.