(GN) Ch. 121 - Conflicted

River POV

"You just couldn't resist, could you?" I growled at my little brother lying half-dead in a bed. I was aggravated enough from Drake nagging me the whole way here. Now that we arrived, we find Chase perfectly fine getting his dick wet by Kiera. I was tired of all their shenanigans.

"You're pathetic." I practically spat out to my brother, but he didn't stir even a little. He looked like a damn fool with that grin on his face too. I wanted to punch his face in, but he wouldn't wake up.

"This is a waste of time." I sighed, pulling a chair to sit beside him. I was looking for a fight, but beating my comatose brother wasn't what I needed.

I tilted my head, tuning my hearing into his heart, and it seemed to be beating just fine. He wasn't warm or even pale. It was a little unsettling that he was out cold.

My hand smacked his cheeks lightly, and all I got was a small grunt. He was alive, so that's all that really mattered.

"Are you done beating up our unconscious brother?" Drake asked, walking through the door.

"I gave him a few love taps. The bastard is out cold, see." I leaned forward and smacked his cheek again.

"You as much of a child as he is." Drake pulled a chair to sit on his other side, both of us lifting our legs to rest on the edge of his bed.

"Did you beg Kiera for some action, too?" I asked scornfully. I don't know why my brothers were so obsessed with that woman. She rejected us, and they turned around and dropped to their knees for another chance.

"No." He grunted out. I watched him examining Chase, checking his vitals as I had done. He was a bastard, but he was our brother. "I told her the truth though."

"Yeah, and what is that? You are as in love with her as this idiot."

Drake sighed heavily with annoyance. "I told her we were prepared to do what was needed."

"And what is that exactly, Drake?" My anger was stirring inside me again. I've been on edge since Deitus got his claws in me. He was inside my head, clawing at my insides, demanding I return to the forest.

"The ultimate sacrifice." He simply stated.

"I'm not giving into the forest."

"We discussed this, River. If we allow Dietus to get Zeus back, all of this will be over. We aren't strong enough, brother, but she is."

"Fucking Kiera! Of course! First, we give her our army, then our pack, and now the world. You two are fools for her, and that will be what does us in." I spat her name out like the poison she was.

"If there were a way to be with her, I would take it. You know the greatest threat to this world is us. Our mission has always been to free the world of evil."

"I won't..." I stood, raising my voice as my blood boiled over, but with one look from my brother, I shut my mouth. I didn't like the control he had over me. He was the oldest, but he was never the strongest, or at least he didn't show it.

"Settle down, brother. Chase needs rest. We all do."

"Fuck Chase and fuck you!" My words were hard, but my voice was soft. One command from my brother I was compelled to listen.

"River, you need to control yourself. If we return to the North, we will be at the grasp of the dark forest before the end of the week. I know you don't want to be here, and I know seeing her makes your soul break even more, but this is where we need to be."

"We don't need her!" I demanded, knowing how incredibly untrue that was. The only call that was more powerful than Dietus was that of my mate.

"Lizzy is here. She has always been good at calming you down. Why don't you go say hi?" Drake raised his eyebrows at me.