(GN) Ch. 105 - Crossing Borders

Kiera POV

"Be prepared for anything," Andy warned everyone as we officially crossed over from the North to the South. The landscape alone was vastly different, almost like a line drawn between rich and poor.

In the North, despite lower privileged areas, basic needs were still met, ensuring a semblance of comfort. As we ventured into the South, the landscape shifted dramatically.

The once lush grounds dried rapidly, devoid of any traces of snow or cold. Desolation stretched as far as the eye could see, with barren lands offering no hope for vegetation to thrive. Not a single animal roamed, and the absence of rain for weeks had left multiple villages in utter shambles.

Along our journey, we conversed with many souls, extending offers of hope and peace in the distant lands of my former pack-house. Some greeted our words with reluctance, clinging fiercely to the only home they had ever known. Others viewed us with suspicion, branding our message as that of a cult and driving us away from their lands. Yet, amidst the skepticism and resistance, some chose to join our ranks, drawn by the promise of a better way to navigate this fleeting existence we shared.

"We should head out soon," Elizabeth said softly, joining me on the bench as we observed the bustling crowd. We had paused to catch our breath, a mere two days away from the only place I had ever truly considered home. As the familiar destination loomed closer, doubt gnawed at the edges of my mind, whispering that perhaps this journey was nothing more than a grave mistake.

The Nightmare pack had never truly been my home, yet it was the only sanctuary I had ever known. The realization weighed heavily on me, a profound sadness settling in my heart. My existence felt insignificant, devoid of purpose or meaning.

The memory of Anastasia haunted my thoughts, her image replaying in my mind like a relentless echo. I questioned whether our encounter had been genuine or merely a figment of a dream I desperately clung to as reality.

"You okay?" Elizabeth's voice pulled me from my thoughts as she settled beside me, her concern evident in her expression. I couldn't help but wonder if her unwavering focus on our tasks was a facade, a shield to conceal any genuine emotions she might harbor.

"I'm okay," I replied softly, my attention drifting to a young teenage couple nearby. The boy's attempts to impress the blushing girl elicited a smile from me; their budding romance was undeniably endearing. Yet, it served as a stark reminder of my own adolescence, devoid of such innocent moments. At almost twenty years old, I often felt burdened with a weight far beyond my years, longing for the simplicity of youth.

"What's on your mind, Luna? You seem troubled," Elizabeth observed, her concern palpable.

"Sad, I guess," I admitted with a sigh, watching as the young couple disappeared from view, their hands entwined. "I never realized how much I missed out on as a kid."

"If it is young love you are missing, trust me, it's nothing," Elizabeth remarked wryly.

"Did you have..." I hesitated, not wanting to pry into her personal life and remembering Jasmine speaking about her and Drake as kids. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know.

"I did have young love, a couple, actually," she replied, her tone tinged with a hint of nostalgia. "But the worst of them all was meeting my fated."

"You're fated? What happened to him?" I couldn't suppress the anxiety that welled up within me. Did he meet a tragic end? Or perhaps he rejected her?

"Nothing worth talking about. We were supposedly one soul but never meant to be together."

"I'm sorry," I offered sympathetically, understanding the ache of shattered expectations all too well. "I understand what you mean, too. Everything we were taught about our other half seems like a big fat lie."