(GN) - Ch. 122 - Mates

Kiera POV

After crying my soul out to Andy, we talked for a while. I filled him in on some of my dreams as well as my conflicting feelings toward the brother. By the end of the conversation, I realized having someone to talk to without judgment, someone who tells you that mistakes are allowed and love isn't something we can control, meant more to me than anything else.

"Thank you, Andy." I gave him another hug, feeling the exhaustion consume my bones.

"I've missed you, Kiera. I know losing Devon and everything Jackson did to you made you more cautious, but I'm here whenever you need a friend."

"I know, and I won't forget that." I smiled at him, knowing he had always been good to me.

I had to let him back in and trust him like I used to. Trust was something hard to feel, though. Everyone seemed to be capable of betraying me like Jackson did and I could lose anyone like I did Devon. I needed to stop living in fear, though.

I left Andy to head to bed feeling lighter than I had in months. It truly felt like a new beginning and knowing the brothers were here gave me a little pep to my step. I was more determined than ever to make sure we all survived. I saw the possibility of a future together. I just needed to find a way to get from here to there without releasing an ancient god into the world or our son.

Every ounce of joy slipped right out of me the second I saw them, though. River and Elizabeth were talking on the balcony. They stood apart, body language uncomfortable and tone awkward, but my mind saw something else: love between them.

Athena stirred inside me. She didn't speak a word; she just bottled up all her jealousy and bloodthirst to end them. My hand gripped my chest, and I moved into the shadows so they couldn't see me. I knew it was wrong to eavesdrop, yet my body wouldn't dare let me leave. I hated River, but I also wanted to walk out on that balcony and claim him as mine before she could.

'Why do we feel this way, Athena?" I asked her in desperation.

'We feel nothing. He is not our Alpha.' She declared, but I felt her jealousy as deeply as mine. I understood now that she was as confused about the brothers as I was.

'We feel everything, and it scares the hell out of me.' I confessed.

'We should head to bed before we do something we regret.' Athena tightened in my soul, making my insides hurt.

'Yeah, we should.' I repeated back, but we didn't move an inch. I watched them angrily until I realized it wasn't jealousy of them together but envy of their relationship.

They were devoted to each other. She truly loved him. Elizabeth would give her life for any of the brothers, and I knew they would do the same for her.

I finally turned away, heading to an empty spare room in the house with a deep, dark pit in my stomach. I wanted to go to Chase but couldn't because Drake and River would be there, too. I couldn't go anywhere near my old bedroom, not only because we destroyed it, but because it held too many old memories. I lay on the small bed and closed my eyes. My mind whirled with images of the brothers and I together, my soul burning with a desire for them to love me as they did Elizabeth.

I didn't get much sleep, and I didn't have any more dreams of prophecy. I sleep in complete darkness, twisting and turning in discord.

By the time the sun rose, I forced myself out of bed. I felt crappier than I ever had. I sat at the edge, rubbing my eyes and not wanting to start my day. I already knew it would be filled with pain and sadness as I crossed paths with the brothers.

'We should just go to them. Take what we need.' Athena suggested, and I groaned in annoyance.

'Take what we need?' I shook my head as I stood to grab my bag of clothes. I needed a hot shower and then food. After I am cleaned up and reenergized, I will call a meeting to make a final plan. I just needed to focus on the tasks at hand.