13-14

Until they left, He Yuta couldn't stop thinking about the words He lisa had said earlier.

Yes, of course, he wanted to. The school had scholars for literature and masters for martial arts. He could study with other youths, and once the time was right, he could take the imperial examination or participate in the military selection. Either way, he could chart his own future, unlike the current situation where he was aimlessly practicing, which was quite unsatisfactory.

In the past, their family didn't have much money, but now they did. The suppressed desire in He Yuta's heart gradually emerged. He stole a glance at the girl walking beside him, He lisa... Since He lisa recovered from her illness, everything seemed to have improved. The house was no longer as stagnant as a dead pond. At some point, the stagnant water had been brushed by the wind, rippling with life, and all the stale atmosphere had been swept away, replaced by a lively and vibrant atmosphere.

It was spring.

He lisa noticed his gaze and immediately covered her face with her veil. She warned him once again, "Remember, don't reveal anything when we meet Father later, got it?"

"......Okay." He Yuta replied with difficulty.

The drill ground was located in a large open space to the east of the city gate. He lisa had never been there before. After her march back to the capital, He Rufei took her place, and she couldn't participate in any activities as "Flying Phoenix General." She had only passed by the drill ground once during a family outing, and she had looked forward to it.

The drill ground in the capital was quite large. The flags fluttered on the flagpoles, and sometimes generals would hold military parades there, creating a grand scene. However, during these peaceful years, the drill ground had become a place for rich young men to enjoy archery and horse riding. There were archery targets and running tracks set up everywhere, and the weapon racks were full of various weapons.

She once had a sword called Qing Lang, invincible and capable of cutting iron like mud. It had accompanied her through countless battles, but she hadn't taken it with her when she married into the Xu family, even though she wanted to.

He Yuansheng told her, "The Xu family is a literary family. If you bring a sword, your husband and mother-in-law might not like it."

Her biological father, He Yuanliang, also advised her, "It's not auspicious."

She questioned He Rufei, but before he could respond, He Yuansheng said, "Rufei is now the Flying Phoenix General. If he doesn't carry a sword, others will be suspicious."

"Right, right. Besides, you won't need it anymore." He Yuanliang chimed in.

Her joy at returning home was doused with cold water, turning from warm to cold. It was at that moment she realized what marriage meant and what it meant to give up the title of the Flying Phoenix General. From now on, she was the eldest lady of the Xu family, the second legitimate daughter of the He family, responsible for the household, raising and teaching children, living in harmony with her husband, and leaving behind the title of Flying Phoenix General, along with all the swords, fast horses, comrades, and freedom earned through bloodshed and achievements, to someone else.

She had nothing left.

He Yuta asked, "Hey, what's wrong with you? You look so pale."

He lisa was taken aback but quickly regained her composure and smiled, "Nothing." She glanced around, "Why haven't I seen father?"

The drill ground often bought new horses, some of which were unruly and needed to be tamed for a period. The current city commander had a low rank and rarely patrolled the city, so in a way, the drill ground had become a place for privileged sons to practice riding and archery.