127: Do You Like Me?

Above the rivers, the moonlight stretched for miles, chilling to the bone. The shimmering white light filtered through the gaps in the forest branches, like lingering, unmelted snow.

He Lisa turned her head to look at the person opposite.

The young man's eyes were like autumn water, naturally captivating without any embellishment. His side profile was sharp and defined, exuding both charisma and laziness. The faint smile at the corner of his lips briefly transported her back to that night in the mountain temple.

It's you, she thought, feeling a bit dazed and bewildered.

Even in the end, she didn't know who he was.

She only remembered being brought to a room in the mountain temple by someone, where a gentle-voiced woman took care of her, cleaned her up, and sent her back to Xu Hanbin.

Xu Hanbin asked her what had happened, and He Lisa simply replied that she had gone out for a walk and accidentally got lost. He didn't say much more about it, and he didn't mention the woman who had brought her back either. So, she remained unaware of who the stranger she had met was.

But that one sentence he said, "If you truly have the will to persevere, even if you go blind, it doesn't matter. Even if you're blind, you can be the most exceptional among the blind," had stayed in her mind, unforgettable in every word.

Later, she tried to listen and identify shapes by sound, learning to live without relying on her eyes. The process was difficult, but whenever she thought of giving up, she would remember the moon behind the mountain temple.

The moon was beautiful, and giving up like this would be a pity.

She had also thought about everything that had happened that day, trying to recall with a clear mind. Some things might not have been accidental at all. How was it that she coincidentally overheard the maidservants talking at the door? How did she, stumbling through the mountains, go unnoticed by the Xu's servants? When she was brought back, Xu Hanbin easily believed her words without pressing further.

Perhaps, they had hoped for her to find her own way out.

She wasn't a white kitten kept in a wealthy household's courtyard, to be held in the arms of madams and young ladies, playing with balls of yarn and growing content. She was a wildcat that had emerged from the dark alleys, dirty and resilient. Even if she went blind, she could still perch on the wall to hunt.

They hoped for her to die, but she stubbornly refused. After all, in this world, there was someone who had given her a piece of candy, introducing her to the sweetness of life.

He Lisa had always thought that the stranger she met on that night must have been a kind-hearted young master or someone with great patience. But she had never expected it to be Xiao Jungkook.

How could it be him?

She gently asked, "What kind of person is... Madam Xu?"

Xiao Jungkook smiled lazily and said, "She's fierce, loves to cry, and has a bad temper."

He Lisa also laughed along but with a hint of moisture in her eyes. She asked, "Do you think Madam Xu knows that you speak of her like this behind her back?"

The worst side of her life had been left with Xiao Jungkook that night. And perhaps, the gentlest side of Xiao Jungkook's life had been reserved for that night with her.

He didn't know that his presence that night had become He Lisa's sole salvation in her despair.

The moon hung alone in the sky, distant and cold, but no one knew that it had once shone its gentle light on someone.