2x04 Duets - Partner Problems

"Why would I want to do a duet with you?  We can't stand each other," Mercedes said to Santana as they walked side by side down the hallway.

After spending almost a whole night crying, Santana's eyes were dried up and she had composed herself enough to ask Mercedes to be her duet partner.  While Quinn and Brittany were obvious options for Santana, other than Julia of course, she knew that her and Mercedes were going to win with a killer number.

"Look wheezy, I know I've tried to punch you a couple times, and sometimes when you're not looking I put weird things in your food.  But it's a new year and you and I are the best singers at the school-" Santana paused for a second when she saw Julia and Layton walking down the hallway hand and hand as Julia giggled.

Julia's eyes met Santana's lingering ones and Julia gave the girl a smile, Santana returning it, before Julia passed the Latina.  After her confession to herself the night before, Santana realized how her heart pounded when Julia approached her and how her heart stopped when Julia smiled at her.  It was an uncontrollable natural feeling.

"I don't get what the big deal is, it's just a free trip to Breadstix," Mercedes said, grabbing books from her locker.

"Um, I'm sorry, have you been to Breadstix?  They are legally forbidden to stop bringing you breadsticks.  One time I brought a wheelbarrow and when the manager tried to stop me from filling it up, I called the corporate office and got her fired," Santana said.  Mercedes let out a sigh and rolled her eyes as she responded.

"Well, I guess our voices do sorta go together..." Mercedes trailed off as Santana hummed in agreement.  

"That's right girl.  So if we do a duet together, we will be the undisputed top bitches at this school," Santana said before walking away, leaving Mercedes to contemplate the decision.

xxx

Julia sat in the empty choir room, biting her nails, a bad old habit of hers, as she waited for Layton to arrive.

As soon as he walked into the room, she dropped her hands to her sides and jumped out of her chair.

"Hey," Layton simply said, throwing his back down on a chair as he approached Julia who was walking toward him

"Hey, you," Julia smiled before the boy leaned in to give Julia quick peck on the lips, but it turned into a much longer, sweeter kiss that made both of them blush when they pulled away.

"So what song did you want to do?" Julia asked the boy as he clutched the Latina's hands.

"I don't know, maybe something upbeat?  My audition was a slow song so I'd be willing to try something different," Layton told the girl.

"Okay, anything you had in mind?" Julia asked.

"Well-" the boy was interrupted by the buzzing of his phone, causing him to release his right hand from Julia and dig into his pocket.

When he pulled it out and looked at the screen, his eyes widened in shock.

"Shit, Julia, I have to go," Layton said, tearing his other hand out of Julia's grasp as he rushed over to grab his bag.

"W-What?" Julia stammered, very confused.

"I have football practice right now," Layton slung his bag over his shoulder, trying to pass Julia to get to the door but she grabbed his wrist before he could leave.

"During free period?  I thought you said you didn't have anything today," Julia recalled.

"Yeah, well I guess I made a mistake," Layton said, violently tearing his wrist out of Julia's hand, sounding slightly annoyed.