2x05 The Rocky Horror Glee Show - Square One

"Eddie...I've seen him," Artie said as the cast continued to rehearse, Julia and Santana sitting side by side in the audience surrounded by a bunch of other background characters.

The entire time, Santana had been leaving Julia smirks or seductive glances, knowing that Julia was most likely into it.

And she was, though she failed to admit it to herself.

"Eddie?  What do you know of Eddie, Dr. Scott?" Mercedes asked the boy in the wheelchair.

The audience looked completely uninterested and confused by the scene as Julia played with Santana's fingers, the only thing that comforted Santana and Julia at the minute.

"I happen to know a great deal about a lot of things.  You see, Eddie happens to be my...nephew," Artie said as everyone on stage gasped.

"This play is terrible," Sue said as Julia nodded, agreeing with her cheer coach for once in her life.

"Finn's line: Dr. Scott!" Mr. Schue exclaimed as Finn had never shown up to rehearsal.

Rachel suddenly appeared from behind a velvet cloth.

"Janet!" Artie shouted.

"Dr. Scott!" Rachel said.

"Finn's line: Janet!" Mr. Schue exclaimed as the audience looked up at the stage in pure boredom and confusion.

Somewhere in between the random name shouting, Julia lost focus and continued to play with Santana's fingers.

When Santana noticed Julia's lack of attention to the scene, she smirked down at the girl.  When Julia looked up at her best friend to see her smirking with not only her mouth but her eyes, she had to quickly look back down at Santana's fingers, her heart beating a million miles after Santana looked at her.

Julia could feel her freckled cheeks heating up.  With Layton completely out of the picture this week, Julia and Santana had been spending a lot more time together during Glee rehearsals sharing glances and jokes.

And especially after their almost kiss, Julia finally noticed how Santana made her heart feel.  She finally noticed how her eyes constantly flickered down to Santana's lips as if she wanted to kiss her.

But of course, she didn't kiss her since she was obsessed with Layton and his beautiful lips.  But still, something about Santana made her feel different than the way Layton made her feel.

"Mr. Schue, it is pointless to rehearse this scene without Finn!" Rachel shouted, finally tearing Julia away from her own thoughts.

"Well, we don't have a choice.  He's late and he's not answering his phone.  We gotta get this timing down, guys.  And would you please stop interjecting your opinions, Sue?" Mr. Schue said.

"Opinions?  These are my re-writes," Sue responded as Mr. Schue let out an annoyed sigh.

"William!  I'd like to see you in my office please!" Principal Figgins stormed into the room as Julia immediately turned toward Santana and whispered in her ear.

"Ooh, someone's in trouble!" she whisper-shouted before Santana rolled her eyes at the girl yet a smile still played on her face.

"You're such a five-year-old."

xxx

"There's a-" Finn and Rachel sang as the rest of the glee club hid behind props, Julia and Santana mostly joking about how stupid Finn and Rachel looked.

"Woah, Woah, Woah," Carl stormed onto the stage causing the glee kids to peek out from behind their props, Julia and Santana giving each other a look before Carl continued.  "Schuester, you messing with my woman?  I thought we had a deal."

"I-I-I don't know what you're talking about," Mr. Schue unconvincingly stuttered.

"Yes, you do, cause Emma and I have a full disclosure policy; total honesty.  Something that allows us to have a little thing called intimacy.  Something you clearly know nothing about," Carl insulted as Julia raised her eyebrows. 

"Look, we were just rehearsing," Mr. Schue looked away and scoffed.

"Listen, bro, man-to-man, you gave me your word," Carl began to storm off.

"So what, you quitting the show?" Mr. Schue asked.

"No, no, no, unlike you, I believe in the power of the arts.  I don't use them to pick up other guys' chicks," Carl finished as he finally left, leaving a speechless cast and director.

Santana looked down at her feet, feeling a bit guilty as she was in the same boat as Mr. Schue.  Like him, she was basically stealing Layton's girl and now she was worried that Layton would find out and something bad would go down.  Worse than what had just happened.

Julia looked up at Santana who felt her gaze and looked back at the pair of green-eyes before Julia whispered something that didn't fail to make Santana smile.

"And that's the tea, sis."

xxx

"I want to apologize for putting you all through this, particularly Finn and Sam," Mr. Schue said, addressing the class in the choir room.

Santana was certainly not happy about the cancellation of the musical as now, Layton would be back in glee club rehearsals, meaning she would get less time with Julia.

"It's cool, Mr. Schue," Finn replied.  "I'm sure the teasing will die down by the time my tenth reunion rolls around."

"And I got asked to be June in the Mckinley high school calendar," Sam responded as Santana smirked at the boy next to her which caused Julia to possessively place her hand on Santana's thigh.

Santana glanced at Julia, the sudden contact surprising her, as Julia was the one this time to give Santana a seductive look.  Santana looked down, flustered, as the roles had been reversed for one of the first time this week.

Julia couldn't really explain it, but it just happened. She didn't really think about the way she looked at Santana but instead let her emotions flow onto her face.  It was really different around Layton.  She always thought about how she sat, how she looked, and how she talked around the boy, not wanting to mess up around him.

"But we still can't do the musical.  Look, I was wrong.  Rocky Horror isn't about pushing boundaries or making an audience accept a certain rebellious point of view.  Those were my reasons for doing it, and they aren't worth risking what we have here.  And when I was younger, and they started midnight shows for Rocky Horror, it wasn't for envelope pushers.  It was for outcasts, people on the fringes who had no place left to go, but were searching for someplace, anyplace, where they felt like they belonged.  Sound familiar?" Mr. Schue asked.

Julia looked to her right then to her left.  She saw the most gorgeous football player and Cheerio beside her and thought she could never relate to this story of outcasts.  Yet she was just afraid to admit who she truly was.  And so was the cheerleader next to her.

"The truth is, with that perspective, Rocky Horror is the perfect show for this club," Mr. Shue said.

"Well, then why aren't we putting it on?" Santana asked, still adamant on Layton being as far away from the club as possible.

"We're still going to perform Rocky Horror," Mr. Schue smiled causing Santana to grin with him.  "We're just not doing it for an audience, we're doing it for ourselves," Santana's grin immediately dropped.

Not doing it for an audience meant that Layton was able to join in.

xxx

(JULIA SINGS ALL OF QUINN'S LINES)

Julia finally got the solo she was dreaming of and most importantly won it over one Ms. Rachel Berry.  Santana was over the moon for her best friend, yet, at the same time, saddened by the glances Julia and Layton shared instead of the glances that her and Julia would normally share.

It felt as though almost kiss never happened and it felt that Santana was all the way back at square one.