Chapter 304

Matt's POV

As we walked into my new temporary office, I went to lean against the desk when Severide and Hermann walked in. "Close the door please." They both nodded and then stood in front of me. "Honestly, how did my first speech as Chief go?" They both looked at each other and smiled. Severide then spoke up. "It went great Matt. We both understand that this is hard for you." I nodded and then smiled. "Okay, down to business. First of all...I am not doing this alone."

They both looked at me confused. "Severide and Hermann, I want you both to make the calls when it comes to anything related to the ambulances. I need to be able to concentrate on my main goal, keeping the firefighters safe. Gabby will come to me but...I will tell her to go to you. I am not making those calls. I can't be conflicted. I need you guys to do what's right and tell Gabby where she is needed, regardless of whether that be in the line of fire or not."

They both now understood why I was saying all this. They wanted to be a buffer between my roles as chief and as a new husband and father. Hermann then spoke up, "Severide, let me take care of that. I know what it feels like to be married and running into fires. I will watch for some signs. But Matt, you need to talk to Gabby. Tell her ahead of time and make sure she understands why you are making me her boss again." I smiled and nodded. "Keep my girl safe."

They both nodded and then smiled as they left the office. That's when I saw Gabby at the door, looking at me. "I had a feeling you needed to talk to me too?" I nodded and sighed. "Come in and close the door. I want to clear some stuff up with you." She nodded before closing the door behind her. She then walked over to me, ready to let me talk to her about today.