Chapter 319

Matt's POV: After Gabby left the room, it was just me and Ramon. I hated the guy but I had to forgive him because if not, it would eat up at me. I needed the relief. Hating someone for a long time is hard to do. However, I would never forget what he did to my family. Forgiving and forgetting are not the same thing. Nor will they ever be. 

Taking a deep breath as I sat down, I grabbed the phone and looked at him. "Mr. Dawson." He just looked at me and got nervous. "Captain." I nodded. "Listen, if we are being totally honest...I didn't want to bring Gabby here. But, I knew we had to. You deserved to know as Antonio's father. As a father, I would want to know even if I were in jail."

He nodded. "Thank you." I sighed. "Now, about what I need to say to you. I need to let you know that I forgive you for what you have done to me." He just stared at me, shocked. "You do?" I sighed. "I forgive you but, I will never forget. You shouldn't either. I remember that day every night. I see it when I close my eyes at night. The sight of my wife on the ground, unconscious."

He just looked at me and let me talk. "I've gone there. I've seen the light a few times sir. As a firefighter, you learn to say goodbye everyday...not knowing whether you'll come back. I lost Gabby before...I am not loosing her again. I made that promise to her that we are forever. You almost broke that promise I made to her. I want you to think about that okay? I want you to remember that by you threatening my life....you almost destroyed Gabby."

He nodded and knew I needed to say this. "Me and Gabby have had a hard time. Yes, Gabby put her life on the line for me. But...you can't blame her for doing that. It's all she knows. Being a paramedic, and me being a firefighter. It's what we're trained to do. Gabby and I love each other and I will protect her. However, I need to ask you something. I need to know this because we recently lost our home. It was arson. I hate to believe this but...did you start the fire?"