Chapter 305

Gabby's POV

As I walked over to Matt, I smiled as I moved close to him and put my hands on his chest. "Your first speech went well." Matt smiled and then looked at me as he wrapped his arms around me. "Listen, can you promise me something?" I nodded, a little nervous. "Anything." Matt sighed and then rubbed my arms. "Promise me that we will make it out okay tonight? I want you to remember that I love you and today is going to be crazy. I might say stuff...."

I knew where he was going and just decided to grab his neck. I rubbed his cheek and then kissed him. "Matt, we already talked about this last night and in the car ride here. I love you and I understand." Matt smiled when I said that. "Now listen, I asked Hermann to be a buffer between us. As Chief, I need to concentrate on the men. Now, that doesn't mean I'm not going to worry about you today. However....I need to concentrate on the men."

I nodded and just let him talk. He then moved his hands to my neck and held me close. "Gabby, I need to know that we will be okay. That you understand that I am doing this because I love you, not because I don't trust you won't make the right calls. You may be my wife but today, I need you to be the best damn Paramedic in Chicago. And I need to concentrate on the fires." I smiled when he said that and nodded. "Matt, just relax and let's do a good job."

Matt then smiled and nodded before going to kiss me softly. "I love you. Now, go check on your ambulance. I want it stocked before our first call." I nodded. "Yes Chief." I then walked away and smiled, going to stock the ambulance so that it could be ready at any moment.

Matt then came out behind me as well, wanting to be on the floor rather than in the office because at heart, he was still a Captain and not a chief.