Beach Day Rescue - Media Attention

Matt's POV

An hour after starting our rescue, we finally got the boy out and the car gone. I was now cleaning up with some towels and cleaning products that the fire team gave us when I heard some reports come up to us. "Miami Herald Times. Can we speak to you?" Me and Gabby both looked up at them as we stood in the sand.

 I just looked at them. "I guess?" Gabby rubbed my arm and smiled. "I'll get Matteo." I nodded and let her go. "What made you run to help before the fire trucks go here? I mean, from all accounts you acted very quickly." I chuckled and smiled. "Second nature, I am a fire captain with the Chicago Fire Department. Have been on the job for a decade."

The reporter then continued with questions. "Do you have any plans on going back to your vacation or do you want to keep working here on vacation?" I laughed and chuckled. "I am on my honeymoon actually. Me and my wife, along with our baby boy are here trying to relax and get away from work but....as a first responder you can't get away can you?"

She nodded. "So, you risked your life just go save the boy even though your young son and wife were here on the sand with you?" I looked at her and nodded. "That's something that should be highlighted more. Us firefighters and paramedics are always first to the scene. And most of the time, we are injured every fire. I have PTSD and trust me, that is scary shit. People should be aware that us firefighters put our lives on the line both physically and mentally. I am sure the guy who drove onto the beach was trying to commit suicide. So, I am saying this because I know what it's like to have PTSD. Get help, talk to someone and save your life. Also, for all former first responders...know you are not alone. You will always be welcomed by the community. Whether you still live in the city you originally worked in or not, you can always reach out to your local firehouse. Because, at the end of the day, no matter what city or country you worked in....firefighters and paramedics are brothers in arms for life. Reach other and stick together."

I smiled while doing an interview but also because I saw Gabby smiling at me, I knew she was proud and I planned to make up for this horrible date somehow. Maybe by taking her to bed later once I am finally done with all the attention. But, one thing I knew for sure. We were heading back to the hotel when we are done with this media attention I'm getting.