Sunset Walk on the Beach

Gabby's POV

After me and Matt finished eating supper, we moved to walk off the patio and onto the beach. The sunset was gorgeous and all I felt right now was peace. Feeling Matt grab my hand, I noticed that he had taken off his shoes. "Wanted to feel the sand beneath your feet?" He chuckled and nodded smiling while bringing me close to him. "When am I going to have an opportunity like this again? Me, you walking down the beach as the sun sets?"

I smiled at him and then decided to take off my sandals too. Moving to carry them in my hands, I smiled as I grabbed Matt's hand and intertwined our fingers before we started walking. "Now this is what I always dreamed of when it comes to a honeymoon." Matt smiled when I said that before kissing my head. "Did you dream involve kids pre- or post-honeymoon?" I thought about it and shook my head.

"Honestly, in our line of work...I never thought I would get this type of honeymoon. I mean, did we even take a honeymoon the first time around?" Matt sighed. "I wanted to but, we got busy adopting Louie. Even though we were in love and engaged, I believe that our intentions when it came to getting married the first time was not truly the best." I looked up at him. "Then what was the main reason?"

Matt stopped walking and then looked at me. He stepped close to me before moving to grab my neck. "It was to show that we were good candidates to be foster parents. But, don't get me wrong. I loved the fact we were married. And while we did loose him in the end, we didn't loose each other. I mean, who would've thought that all these years later and after all the obstacles we went though, we'd be married today."

I smiled when he said that and then sighed. "If we are being honest, I didn't imagine this at all while I was pregnant. I thought I was going to be in court with you rather than in love with you." Matt then got quiet as he wrapped his arm around me. "You thought I would've tried to take Matteo away from you?" I knew by the sound of his voice that he was mad.

"Matt, I was hormonal and wasn't thinking straight at the time. Trust me, I was thinking a lot of things. Your mind goes crazy when you think you are on your deathbed. Complete honesty, that's what I thought going into giving birth. I thought the aneurysm was going to be a problem and I wouldn't be here anymore. I wasn't thinking at all Matt. And you already know all this."

Matt just nodded at me before moving to step close to me again. He then kissed my forehead and sighed as he rubbed my cheek. He then pushed my head up and looked into my eyes. "All that matters now is that you are here with me and that our life is so much better than it was before you left. We are in love and we have the family we've always dreamed of. But most importantly, I've never been happier because I have the woman I love back in my arms."

I blushed when he said that and smiled. "You do know that, even through the divorce Gabby...I never stopped loving you. So, when I said I love you at the hospital...I meant it as the man you love, not as a friend. After all we've been through in the past 3 years. Our first baby, Shay's death, a marriage, my run for alderman, Mills and Cordova...." Matt was about to continue when he heard someone walk up to us. "Matt and Gabby?"