64|Refugees

"It's our crib!" Carl exclaimed. "Not anymore." Fiona said. "Who says?" Carl asked. "State of Illinois." Ian answered. "They can't just take it from us." Carl said. "I don't have time to explain foreclosure law to you." Fiona told him.

"Those are the stairs where Carla and I broke our arms for the first time." Carl pointed at the staircase. "Yeah,and the second,and the fifth." Ian said as he sat next to Carla at the counter. "This table is where Liam was born." Carl said, making Nick stop eating.

"There's nothing we can do." Fiona said. "Can you keep it down in there?" She asked as Frank and some guy who lived in their backyard brought the toilet out of the bathroom. "Copper pipes aren't gonna take out themselves." Frank said.

"While Rome burns,you eat waffles." Frank put his arms up. "You gonna take apart the place,piece by piece?" Ian asked. "Scorched earth. The preferred method of defeated generals who refused to allow their conquers the satisfaction." Frank explained.

"Of taking a dump?" Carla asked. "Copper's two buck a pound." Frank said, putting down the copper pipes. "Look,we don't have the luxury to sit around and get weepy. We need a place to live." Fiona said.

"Let's see them try to get Nick and I out. We'll take positions up at the upstairs windows with M16s." Carl said. "Carl." Fiona said in a warning tone. "Throw Liam at the bottom of the stairs with some grenades. think you can pull a pin and throw it?" Carl asked. Liam nodded.

"Strap Chuckie up with some explosives and throw him off the roof." Carl continued. "Do any of the, and they'll try you as an adult. That's big boy prison." Fiona told him.

"Look,the house is gone. It's over. We need to move on." Fiona said. "This is all 'cause of the mud people." Chuckie pointed at Nick. "What the fuck?" Ian asked as him and Carla turned around in their seats. "That's what my friends in juvie said." Chuckie said, making Frank laugh.

"What? What did I say?" Chuckie asked. "Chuckie,if you want to stay alive,shut up and go to school." Ian said.  "Aw.." Chuckie whined as she stood up and walked out of the kitchen. "Where's Lip at? He'd back me up on this." Carl said.

"I told him we didn't need him. He needs to focus on school." Fiona told him.

"Jesus!" Frank exclaimed when he got electrocuted, causing everyone in the kitchen to turn and look at him. "If I go through with getting a new crib,it better be sick." Carl said.

"We can't pay anymore than we already were." Fiona said. "We were barely making ends meet as it was." Ian said. "Why you acting like we ain't go no lettuce?" Carl asked. "Lettuce?" Fiona asked. "The Benjamins. Cash money." Carl said, standing up. "Say the word,and I'll make it rain up in here." Carl said.

"I told you,I'm not taking your dirty money." Fiona told him. "Must be wonderful living in your little fantasy world where unicorns slide down magical rainbows,and everybody on the Southside gets by on the up and up. What do you think this neighborhood runs on? It ain't donuts. Without heroes like Carl here driving our shadow economy,we would've gone the way the dodo years ago." Frank said.

"Hey,can I get a relocation advance?" Frank asked as Carl handed him some money. "Thank you." He said. "Yo! What the hell?" Fiona asked as people walked into the house. "I didn't realize the house was still occupied." A man said.

"Oh shit. You're the new owners?" Fiona asked. "We're just here to take a few measurements. For the kids' beds,tile for the bathroom." The man said. "We're in the process of moving out,but been here since before i was born. It's a lot of stuff to get together." Fiona said as the twins walked in the living room with Nick and Ian being them.

"Contractors aren't coming till next week. If you want to take your time." The man told Fiona. "Thanks. That's really nice of you." Fiona said. "Hey. You ever seen what a machete can do to the human body?" Carl asked.