Dwalin ~ Adorable 2

I sniffed, having come much too close to death than what I wanted.  The cave was musty and I was very wet, my arms wrapped around me to try and get warm as orders had been sent out to not light a fire.

I sniffed again, my body hurting.

The path into the mountains had seemed easy at first, at least until the storm hit, then it became dangerous.  When the giants started to move, then it became treacherous.

I'd been stuck next to Dwalin, as usual, and I was trying my hardest to not show how truly terrified I was.

Then, as it turned out we were standing on a giant, and as it moved, I slipped.

The scream had left me before I'd even really registered what was happening and my stomach seemed to drop first, making me feel sick, before a strong hand caught my arm.

Dwalin hauled me back up quickly, keeping me pinned as far back as possible as the giant moved more and I clung to him tightly, not realising I was screaming, even as we all fell into the face of the mountain.

"Diena!"  Thorin's voice had cut through the storm, Dwalin quickly pulling me to my feet to show I was okay, Thorin appearing and looking relieved before shouting at the others to find shelter.

Dwalin took my face gently in his hands and brought my gaze to his.  "Are you alright?"

I blinked and nodded, currently all I was capable of doing.

Then they were all distracted by Bilbo.

I sunk back, needing to regather myself, which didn't seem to last long as Thorin went over.

I held my breath.

I'd never come close to losing him before.

He'd brought me into a tight hug once we were safely out of the storm and I had hurriedly returned it.  He'd held me till I stopped shaking.

But now I had this damned sniff.

It was infuriating but I knew lighting a fire in the cave was a bad idea.

Something heavy rested on my shoulders and I looked up, Dwalin lying back down near me, his coat now snug on my shoulders.

I pulled it tighter around me.  He might of been a pain most of the time, but I could never fault him for caring.

Warmth slowly seeped back into me and after a little time, my sniffles quietened.

I was dozing when the voices disturbed me, causing me to curl up a little tight under Dwalin's coat, but the shout really woke me up.

This time, we all fell.

Now, I didn't bother trying to hide I was terrified, the evidence clear on my face as the goblins forced us through the tunnels.

Dwalin took my arm, leaning in close.

"Put my coat on,"  He growler hurriedly.  "Don't question it, just do it."

I didn't argue, awkwardly slipping the coat on as he reached forward and stole Bofur's hat, placing it on my head, Bofur shot a look back but understood.

With Dwalin next to me and Thorin in front, I made myself as small as possible as we were pushed in front of the goblin king.

As Thorin stepped forward, Dwalin stepped in front of me.

But after Gandalf saved us, I was on my own.  Along the paths through the goblin tunnels, I got separated from both Dwalin and Thorin, who had been trying to keep close, and found myself leading the run of the second group.