Dwalin ~ Adorable 4

Fili and Kili swore not to say anything.

I didn't know whether it was a relief or terrifying, and it was clear by Dwalin's expression when they swore, panic in their voices, that Dwalin didn't know either.

"If I find out either of you say anything-"  Dwalin started to threaten.

The brothers held up their hands.  "I swear we won't!"

"Truly!  We promise!"

Fili looks at me. "We'd be more terrified of what Diena could do to us anyway."

I fold my arms with a snort.  "Damn straight you would.  The stories I could tell both Dad and your mother-"

"We've already swore!"

"Good."

Dwalin found me some time later, passing me a bowl of food as he joined me seated on the ground.

"So,"  He began awkwardly.  "Where do we go from here?"

"I was kind of hoping you could answer that."  I said with a small grin.

"Me?"  He grunts.  "It was hard enough getting to this point let alone-"

"I was joking Dwalin."

"Oh."

I start to eat, slowing down the conversation, giving us both time to think.

"You know that you will have to speak with Dad."

Dwalin visibly tenses but nods.

"Preferably before my cousins let it slip."

"They wouldn't-"

"Fili and Kili might have sworn,"  I said grimly.  "But they do stupid things, like letting things slip accidently.  I love those two dearly but my they can be a pain.  You saw the aftermath of the cookie incident."

Dwalin chuckled.  "Aye, I thought Dis was going to pull your ear off."

I rubbed my ear from my memory.  "So did I, she still should have learnt to hide them better."

"Aye, she should have."  Dwalin was grinning. "Did you ever find her next one?"

It was my turn to grin then.  "All I had to do was follow you."

Dwalin went red around his neck.  "Me?"

"Oh please Dwalin, everyone knows you have a sweet tooth."  I roll my eyes, still smiling as I then lean on him.  "Besides, I never told Dis and I was the only one who knew that you too were stealing her cookies."

"Think she would have dragged me out by the ear too?"

"Definitely."

We both laughed, helping ease the uncertainty between us still.

I sighed as silence fell.  "I guess we'll just have to take this one day at a time, wait for the right moment to bring it up."

Dwalin screws his nose up as he thinks.  "That could be a long time with this quest Diena, not to mention rebuilding Erebor."

"Maybe."  I shrug and sit back up to finish my meal. "But what other choice do we have?"

We left Beorn's in somewhat higher spirits, but when Gandalf left and we started our journey through Mirkwood, that quickly changed, the forest air filled with a heavy magic, Dwalin quickly taking my hand as he realised this was above what they were all ready for.

The spiders made it worse.

Then the elves.

I couldn't think of what was worse as I was thrown into a cell by myself, the others cursing as they too were put into cells, and we watched helplessly as Thorin was taken away.