Connected 9

By the time Veera and Thorin reached Keeva and Dwalin, they were both stunned to find the fighting had stopped.

Or more, they both still had their weapons drawn, but they were frozen in place.

They looked between them, Veera frowning.

"Keeva?"  Veera stepped forward, her hand weary on her own sword. 

Thorin was watching Dwalin, his own weapon ready.  "Am I the only one who is uncomfortable?"

"No."  Veera breathes.  "Keeva?"

Keeva blinks, her gaze confused and scared.  "Veera...I think we have another problem."

"What do you mean?"  Veera asked.

"This isn't going to be permanent is it?"  Dwalin asked, his face paling.  "Please tell me this isn't going to be permanent."

"What are you two on about?"  Thorin growled.  "Stop being foolish and-"

"I can hear him Vee."  Keeva said and her axe lowers slowly.  "Clear as anything, like we used to."

Thorin and Veera looked between them shocked.  "You what?"

"Aye."  Dwalin's axe lowers too.  "I don't like this."

"You think I do?"  Keeva snaps.  "This has got to be the most ludicrous thing-"

"Ludicrous isn't word I would use."  Dwalin growls.  "I don't need you in my head."

"You think I like it?"  She asked hotly.  "It's not like-"

"Enough."  Veera said quickly.  "Arguing is going to do little.  For once, please try and keep a calm head."

Keeva shuts her mouth and says no more, Dwalin reluctantly does the same.

"If there ever was a time I thought they were made for each other, it would be now."

"Not the time Thorin."

"Right,"  Veera continued.  "Now, do you think you can listen to Lord Elrond without saying anything stupid?"

Keeva and Dwalin sat at opposite sides of the table, Thorin in the middle as Veera stood next to the door, her arms folded, ready to step in if either of them decided to leave.

"This is certainly an unexpected development."  Gandalf said, looking between them.  "So you and Veera can no longer talk but you and Dwalin can?"

"That's what I said."  Keeva said irritably.  "Is there going to be a solution to this or are we just-"

"Keeva."  Veera warned, making Keeva fold her arms with an angry snort.  "Honestly."

"This isn't something we can take lightly,"  Elrond said, looking between them.  "Nor is it something that we can just give an answer to.  My guess...the reason for Azog being after you at least, is due to the necromancer.  How he has anything to do with this, I could not say, but-"  He shared a look with Gandalf, who looks grim.  "We are thinking it could be how you have such an advanced gift in the first place."

They all frowned and Veera looked between Elrond and Gandalf.  "Would you care to elaborate?"

Elrond sighs. "This gift has been recorded amongst dwarves before, it is rare, this is true, but not entirely unknown.  However...it has never been of this strength before, that is normally seen in elves, so it makes both Gandalf and I think that it was altered another way."

"We are not saying it is." Gandalf said quickly, watching confusion turn to fear.  "But it is a possibility.  For all we know you could have been groomed for this."