Connected 8

The rest of the way to Rivendell, Veera and Keeva were thrown off.  If it hadn't been for Thorin and Dwalin they had little doubt they would've made it at all.

They weren't used to not being able to talk to each other.

"Has this ever happened before?"  Thorin asked Veera as they sat silently at dinner.

"No,"  She grumbles.  "We've always had this link.  I don't understand what has...has..."

Thorin knew she couldn't finish the sentence.  Neither woman wanted to believe it had broken completely.

Keeva was blaming Dwalin, made very clear to everyone when she marched up to him after dinner.  "What did you do?"

Dwalin stared at her.  "What?"

"What did you do?"  She snaps angrily.  "I haven't been able to get through the Veera since bumping your arm, so what did you do?  How did you break our connection?"

"I didn't do anything."  He denied.  "I don't know how all that stuff works so how I meant to be able to stop you doing anything with your sister?"

It eventually escalated to the point several of them had to hold Dwalin back while Veera and Thorin dragged Keeva away.

"Dammit Keeva!" Veera snaps.  "Now is not the time or place for this."

"How can you be so calm about this?"  Keeva shouts.

"I am not."  Veera said.  "I'm just not taking it out on others."

Keeva impatiently shoves her hands through her hair.  "Well aren't you just miss perfect!  This is absolutely-"

"Ridiculous.  I know!"  Veera's voice was starting to raise, Thorin standing back looking a little awkward.  "Keeva do you think I like this anymore than you do?  We came here to get help so let's just wait and see what they have to say."

Keeva kicks at the nearest object, a flower pot, sending it crashing to the ground, dirt spilling everywhere.  "And if they can't, what are we going to do then?"

"Deal with it, like we always have."  Veera snarls.  "Now calm down!"

Keeva was breathing heavily, refusing to meet Veera's furious gaze.  "And if I don't want to deal with it?  This is a whole new level that I just don't want to take on Veera."

"We don't have a choice."  Veera said.  "And throwing a tantrum won't help."

Keeva glares at her, her gaze then moving to Thorin which just seemed to annoy her more.  "Come and get me when you're ready.  I need to cool off."

She stormed away before Veera could say anything else.  Veera sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"She really doesn't like me."  Thorin stated bitterly.

"No she doesn't."  Veera thinks.  "I want to make her calm down but I've never seen her this bad before.  If I could still...Keeva has never dealt with changes well, with mine, she didn't talk to me for days, she didn't trust it at all, and I don't blame her.  This is something huge, we've never known this Thorin, we've been able to do this as far back as we can remember."

Thorin rests a comforting hand on her shoulder.  "You do a lot for her."

"We do a lot for each other."  Veera said and Thorin could feel it all weighing heavily on her.  "I'm going to have to be the one to talk to Lord Elrond, she's more likely to say exactly what she's thinking and I don't think that will end well."

Thorin then did something surprising and carefully takes her hand, earning a surprised look from her.  "Come on, you don't have to do this alone."