𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝕾𝖔 𝕳𝖆𝖕𝖕𝖞 𝕸𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗'𝖘 𝕯𝖆𝖞 part 3

You made it back to the cave and successfully landed Dame at the front entrance, slowly you slid off of him and landed upon your feet that felt like mush from being in the sky for a long period of time.

Such moment of freedom is something that you will cherish in your heart forever, so you made sure to express your gratitude to the majestic beast.

"Thank you, kindly as you are." You said as you rubbed his cheek.

In return he pecked his large snout against your frame.

"It seems that he has taken quite a liking to you." Zeno spoke.

You hummed. "I guess so."

The old man sighed and walked into the humid cave with you following behind to check on Esmé who awaited the hatching of her young.

"Is it okay if I climb into her roost?" You asked Zeno.

He nodded and you climbed into the gigantic nest which was big enough to accommodate the mother and her five eggs.

The female dragon brought her head up in surprise from seeing you climb in, being that you were stranger she was alert and worried that you might harm her and her young. She growled at you and let out a deafening roar that was so loud it could almost cause one to become deaf.

"Stop acting brand new." Zeno snapped. "You're the stranger in her nest, it is vital that you introduce yourself first."

You face palmed yourself as a punishment for your stupidity then slowly you approached the mother dragon who's nostrils flared with steam rising out of them.

"Zeno, by any chance does she breathe fire?"

"Of course, she wouldn't be a useful asset if she couldn't." Zeno replied.

You became even more frightened as you were terrified of getting burned to crisps by scorching flames. But you had to remember that fear only leads to suspicion and so you calmed yourself down before continued to approach.

Respectfully, you stood before her and reached your arms out to initiate an introduction. "Hello!" You shouted. "Um.... my name is (y/n)!"

Esmé slowly lowered her head, deadly eyeing you in suspicion, then began to sniff all over your body. Etching your natural scent into her mind so that she can't detect your presence by your very smell.

After she was done getting a good sniff off of you she calmed down just a little and allowed you to wander around her nest.

"Zeno? How long will it be before the eggs hatch, I have to get back to my babies soon."

Just thinking about them made a weight of guilt build up on your chest, especially since before you thought about feelings of hate about them. But in reality it was just a symptom of your postpartum depression, you didn't really mean it and it was just a factor of your unrequited rage for your regretful decisions.

"It won't be too long, they should be hatching right about now actually." Zeno answered.

You sat and stared at the white eggs speckled with blue and red spots so you could watch them hatch. For once in your life you were going to witness a birth that wasn't you giving it.

Then suddenly you heard a cracking sound come from one of the eggs, then another, and then some more until all of the eggs began to crack. Well all except for one that didn't have any movement at all.

But you watched as the four eggs all cracked open at different rates until all of them were out of their respective shells. The tiny whelps squawked a high pitch roar as they fumbled about all slimy and fragile.