Tainu takda ravaan

Title is the song from movie 'Hansi toh phansi'

Sameer did not dare to move. Observing from the corner of his eyes, he could see Naina's closed eyes, her lashes resting on her cheeks. The faint movement of her arm against his confirmed her slow, rhythmic breathing. She was comfortably asleep. He tilted his head by an inch, and her hair brushed against his stubble. He quickly lifted his head back to the same position. He didn't want to take advantage of her slowly building trust in himself. Wrapping his hand over the arm of the seat, he let out a shuddering exhale.

"Sir, aap veg meal lenge ya non veg?" The air hostess approached his seat, asking in a polite voice.

"Uh... nothing." He didn't want any disturbance for Naina.

"What about your wife and son? They'll take something?" She asked in the same tone, glancing at the other two passengers.

His entire body shook with the jerk of his head that turned to gape at the air hostess. The movement made Naina open her eyes. It took her a few seconds... and then she bounced back to straight, stiff position.

"Aaram se." Sameer immediately placed a hand over Ayush, who slipped a little because of her sudden jerky motion.

Naina's eyes flew to his face, which was right in front of her... but his eyes were on Ayush.

She looped an arm around the sleeping child, holding him properly.

Sameer straightened. He didn't look at Naina once... he couldn't... or she would have seen the raw emotions in his eyes. He asked the air hostess to give coffee for the two of them, and for Ayush, fruit juice and a slice of cake, with a packet of wafers.

Since Ayush was in Naina's lap, Sameer opened the table in front of him, placing both coffee cups, and the tray with food on it.

Naina kept her head turned towards the window. She wanted to hit herself... how could she fall asleep on him. Air travel always made her feel drowsy... and she slept on the flights in the past... but that was with her parents. Sameer... what would he think about her... she shut her eyes in mortification.

"Pehle tum coffee pi lo phir Ayush ko khila denge. Usse bhook lagi hogi na." His voice was normal.

"Aap... aap mujhe utha dete." She mumbled, through quivering lips.

"Tum bhi so gayi thi kya? Main toh khud so raha tha. Abhi abhi air hostess ne khane ka pucha toh aankh khuli. I didn't realise you were sleeping." He said casually, and took a sip of coffee, hoping his lie was convincing enough.

Her eyes crinkled... did he not know that she was sleeping on his shoulder... but he was up when she had opened her eyes.

"Woh main... aapko..." She tried to find words to apologize.

"Yeh lo. Coffee piyo. Uthne ke baad best lagti hai." He forwarded the cup.

"Ayush ke liye cake aur wafers liye hain. Kuch aur chahiye kya?" He asked after she held it.

"Uh... Ayush ko wafers nahi deti main." Naina uttered, as her eyes fell on the packet.

"Vacation pe thodi bohot indulgence chalti hai. Ussi mein mazaa hai." He said lightly, avoiding to look at her.

Her eyes again darted to his face, but he sipped his coffee, still looking ahead.

Sameer breathed in relief when Naina leaned back in her seat and shifted her attention to the brew in hand. He didn't want her to shrink back in her shell. It was better to pretend ignorance than to allow awkwardness create a wall between them.

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें