Tu safar mera... hai tu hi meri manzil

Naina sat on the chair in her room, watching the raindrops splattering on parched floor. The smell of rain on dry mud wafted through the mesh door, filling her with a pleasant feeling. Rains were always a serene, tranquil sight for her. They brought with them a sense of relief, washing away all murkiness of dust and pollution... to make everything look fresh and new. Her gaze lingered on the plants, which seemed to be dancing, invigorated by the splashing raindrops and a strong breeze.

The sound of Ayush's squeal of delight followed by Sameer's laughter from next room made her blush again. However much she was trying to suppress the knocking on her heart, some or the other incident brought out the feeling much stronger than before. Her mom often used to say 'Jhoota khane se pyar badhta hai'... and this was repeatedly playing in her mind since she and Sameer shared the kadha from same mug.

Biting her lower lip, she took a deep breath, her mind trying to overpower the heart again, "Don't look into things with this perspective. It was just a mistake... not a sign."

She shut her eyes, reminding herself yet again what she had been telling her heart since the day of party... these emotions were not meant for her. She shouldn't... she couldn't have such feelings. But every time she looked into his dark eyes, they seemed to be drawing her towards them. It was not less than a shock for her. All this time, she had kept her heart closed to any such notion. There had never been anyone who could evoke any emotion in her. Never. And she was sure there wouldn't be anyone ever. But then, she had also made a resolve never to trust anyone. When and how Sameer had broken that resolve, she didn't come to know. And if it hadn't been for the incident in Jaipur, she wouldn't have been aware of the trust she placed in him.

"Baat ko vishwas tak hi rakh. Usse aage jaane ki zarurat nahi hai." With a steely voice, she put a hand on her heart and reminded herself. She had to keep her guards stronger, and hold her feelings in check. It would be better to not make an eye contact with Sameer, whenever possible.

Half an hour later, when the rain stopped, Sameer called out to her to say that he was leaving. One part of her heart wanted to ask him to stay for dinner, but she pushed away the thought, thanking him for taking care of Ayush.

The monsoons in Delhi were rarely harsh. With their arrival, a few days of rainfall to end the hot spell was awaited but the rains hardly lasted a day or two. During the entire month, there were a few days of moderate rains, and just about a couple of days of heavier downpour. Delhiites, thus, were not in the habit of preparing for the monsoon, neither in infrastructure, nor in individual arrangements.

This year too, first week of monsoon had gone by after some rain on first day. Since then, it was sunny. Schools had reopened. Ayush was initially a little scared to join a proper school, but just two days were enough for him to start enjoying the larger premise and more books.

"Naina, tumko pata hai, ma'm ne kaha jo sabse pehle A to Z sunayega usko ma'm chocolate dengi. Mujhe toh poora aata hai. Main aaj ma'm ko suna dun?" He asked one morning when naina was going to drop him.

"Of course. Ma'm good boy bolengi tujhe. Lekin chocolate milegi toh new friends ke saath share karna. New friends banaye hai na?" She gave a quick glance to him before focusing on the road.

Ayush raised two fingers, "Nihal aur Abir."

"Good. Unse fight nahi karna. Aur apna tiffin bhi share karna." Naina smiled at him.

"Okay." He tilted his head to one side, a wide smile adorning his face as they reached the school building.

The new school started earlier than his play school. Naina went back home after dropping him since there was time to leave for office. Bhalla aunty was out in the garden when she opened the gate.

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें