New beginning

Naina felt a big burden lift off her chest. Ever since she had received the confirmation from benevolent Mr Jai Prakash Maheshwari of Maheshwari Industries, it was like she could breathe again. Finally, she would be able to move away from Agra, the city she had spent all her life till now.

Naina had no attachment to the city anymore. It had taken away everything from her. As she looked around the room, her eyes rested on the frame that had a happy picture of her parents. Ma and papa had left her with enough beautiful memories, and she didn't want anyone anymore, to bring happiness in her life.

"Nainaaaa." The loud voice from the other room brought a smile on her face... her parents had also left this constant source of mischief and joy for her... little Ayush.

"Bahar aa ja, Ayush. Main kaam kar rahi hun." She hollered back, not getting up from the chair that she occupied near the window, her favourite place.

A little boy stomped out of the bedroom, his face puffed up in indignation. He walked up to Naina, purposely making loud noise with his feet and stood before her with his tiny hands on waist.

"Kya kaam kar rahi ho tum? Bas yahan baithi rehti ho aur mujhse saara kaam karwati ho." He pouted, watching her with narrowed eyes.

Naina put away the laptop on the side table, and bent down a little to come face to face with the angry young man, "Aisa kya kaam kar diya tune jo Beena aunty ki tarah suna raha hai?"

The mention of their nosy neighbour and comparison to her irritated him even more.

"Naina, main tumse baat nahi karunga. Tumne mujhe Beena aunty bola... katti." Fuming, he turned his face to the other side.

Giggling, Naina scooped him up in her lap. Ayush resisted for a while but gave in to her tickling soon, letting out squeals of laughter.

"Ab bol kya kaam kiya hai tune... aur jhooth bola hoga na toh aaj dinner mein tinde khilaungi." Naina held him tightly so he couldn't run away.

Ayush gave a big grin, "Nahi khane padenge tinde. Maine jhoot nahi bola. Kaam kiya na... jo pillow tumne phenk diya tha woh maine wapas bed pe rakh diya."

Naina recalled that about half an hour back, when another interview had also not given her any hope, she had thrown the pillow in frustration and walked out of the room with her laptop. But Mr Jai Prakash Maheshwari had called within next ten minutes and confirmed her appointment as the personal assistant to one of his grandson. She wondered what made him agree while just a few minutes back he was apprehensive about hiring a girl for the said job. Well, whatever it was, she was relieved that she could finally move out of this city... and start a new life.

"Naina, main sachhi bol raha hun. Maine pillow rakh diya bed pe. Jaake dekh lo... bas tinde mat banana." Ayush shook her, bringing her out of her thoughts.

Naina gave him an indulging smile, "Nahi banaungi baba. Aaj hum dono party karenge. Pizza khayega? Ya burger?"

Ayush beamed at the offer, "Pizza, cheese wala... uspe extra cheeze dalwa ke. Aur uske baad ice cream?"

Naina pinched his cheek, "Tu aur teri ice cream... kuch bhi khila do lekin ice cream ke bina tera khaana poora nahi hota. Chal theek hai... aaj chocolate ice cream bhi milegi."

The little boy slipped out of her lap and dashed to his room.

"Ab kahan jaa raha hai?" Naina got up from her easy chair and walked behind him.

Ayush stood in front of the open cupboard. He pointed at a bright floral dress as Naina came to the room.

"Aaj yeh dress peheno... mera favourite. Tum roz jo office wale dress pehenti ho woh achhe nahi hain." Ayush gave a disapproving look to Naina's pile of dull coloured clothes that she wore to office.

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें