Katron ki pyaas thi... sagar mujhe mil gaya

Title is the song 'Hum dum' from movie 'Shiddat'

Naina swallowed, "Matlab... I'm pregnant."

Time paused for Sameer. His eyes forgot to blink. Everything around him faded... except Naina.

She felt her throat choke with inexplicable emotions. She had heard what he said from outside the door... but still wasn't sure if he was ready to take this. It brought back the memories... and she trembled as she recalled how it had effected him last time.

"Maine... maine koi medicines nahi li. Mujhe toh khyal bhi nahi aaya... sachhi Sameer, maine socha tak nahi. Woh toh Preeti ki doctor ne bola kyonki..." She looked at him nervously, "...mummy ko laga... woh ice cream..." Unable to go on, she pressed her lip with her teeth.

Sameer was still in a daze, though her nervous mumbling did reach him. When he had agreed to go ahead, he had just started to prepare himself... he hadn't seen this coming. In fact, his mind was in conflict now. Should he rejoice, or not raise his hopes... should he listen to his heart which was ready to burst with joy, or should he go with his rational mind and wait till they see the doctor... should he tell her he wanted this as much as her, or should he keep himself in check for her sake...

He blinked, his heart beating at unthinkable speed, "Yeh test... kya yeh... matlab aise hi check ho jaata hai kya, iss chote se strip pe?"

She glanced at the kit, "Doctor ne kaha tha. Unhone hi diya yeh kit."

Sameer swallowed, "Doctor se puchein?"

Preeti's doctor had already left. It was quite late. Though she had Dr Amrita's number, Naina thought it wouldn't be appropriate to call at this hour. When she had said she would do the test next morning, it was only to get away from that situation. In pure honesty, she was dying to do it... without letting anyone know of the result. This possibility hadn't occurred to her earlier, but now that Vishakha had put the doubt in her mind, she couldn't wait another second after reaching her room.

As she stood before Sameer, having confirmed the result not once or twice, but half a dozen times, she was more or less sure of it's accuracy. But she couldn't say it with same conviction to him.

"Kya hum... iss ek test ko... is it...?" Sameer fumbled for right words, as flummoxed as her.

Naina shook her head fiercely, "Ek nahi, maine che baar kiya. Dekho."

She held his wrist and dragged him to the washroom. On the counter, there were five more similar strips... two pink lines bright and clear on each one.

He stared at them in shock, "Doctor ne tumhe itni baar test karne ko bola?"

She again waved her head in negation, "Unhone toh ek hi kit diya tha." Next moment, her head shot up at him as she realised her folly.

Sameer gave her a curious look.

She closed her eyes for a moment, steeling herself, then looked at him earnestly, "Sameer, please gussa mat hona. Main tumse chupana nahi chahti thi. Bas... bas tumhe phir se uss condition mein nahi dekh sakti thi."

"Ky... kya matlab?" He was more confounded now, "Kya tum..."

"Never." She placed a hand on his arm, pinching her throat with other, "I swear maine apna promise nahi toda. Ek din bhi medicine nahi li, na kisi bhi doctor ke paas gayi." She paused, letting out a breath, "Winters mein ek baar mujhe six weeks tak periods nahi hue toh main... maine tab yeh kits khareede the. Lekin tab test negative aaya. Uske baad maine sochna hi chod diya."

He was taken aback, "Naina, tumne mujhe bataya kyon nahi?"

"Mujhe laga pehle confirm kar lun warna tum... tumhe dukh hoga." She stuttered.

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें