Ye mujhe kya hua

The canteen in office was on the floor below Sameer's office. It was a large, tastefully decorated area with indoor as well as outdoor seating. Spotless white marble tables and white fiberglass chairs gave the place a modern and classy look. Separate counters served different varieties of food... everything from healthy to indulgent. The option of home like food was an added feature. This counter served simple vegetables and dals with chapatis and rice. Even the other varieties were made in a healthier manner so that the employees could eat here on regular basis, without any fear of losing out on nutrition or health.

To encourage more people to utilise this facility, nanu and Vivek had adopted the practice of having their lunch from the canteen everyday. Though they mostly ordered it to their rooms, nanu insisted that Sameer and Rohan should go and eat there itself... to get the feel of the place, and to keep those managing the canteen in check. It definitely helped. The place was always sparkling clean, food did not disappoint ever, and the canteen was forever bustling with people at lunch time. In order to accommodate everyone, different floors were given a different time... half an hour away from each other.

Naina had been briefed about this arrangement on the very first day. After leaving senior Mr Maheshwari's cabin, she checked her watch and realised it was lunch time for her floor. She had been introduced to a few people closer to her age. Sanya, Farhan and Vedika had become friendly right away. They welcomed her to their group, treating her to lunch with them in the canteen. She was told that another person, Dhruv, who was on leave for his sister's engagement, was also a part of their group.

Sitting in the canteen with her three friends now, Naina found all of them to be easy and comfortable company. Slowly, she eased with the new friends, sharing a laugh every now and then. Their lunch was done when her phone started to ring. Seeing Ayush's name on the screen, she excused herself to go to a quieter place.

"Tum log jao, main yeh call leke aa jaungi." She smiled at them and moved out to the open seating area which was deserted due to the bright sun on this hot afternoon.

"Naina, aaj tumne mujhe sandwich kyon diye? Maine spring rolls bole the na! Tumne cheating ki. Saari vegetables khila di raat ko aur aaj spring rolls bhi nahi banaye." Ayush screamed into the phone.

Naina put it away slightly from her ear, then sweetened her voice, "Sorry na, woh aaj ek meeting thi uski preparation karne mein time nahi mila. Kal pakka dungi."

"Pakka nahi... bolo pakka promise." Kal toh meeting nahi hai na?" Ayush sobered down.

Naina shook her head, "Nahi. Aur aaj tere liye special dinner."

"Pehle pakka promise bolo." Ayush persisted.

Sameer entered the canteen to find it full. Right from the time he had joined, and when later Rohan started to come to office, they had made it clear to everyone that they both were just like others who worked here, and did not need any special treatment when they came to the canteen. No one should vacate their seats or run to serve them. Like others, they went to the self service counters and picked up their food, getting the bill added to their monthly accounts. By now, entire office was used to the sight of owners occupying any vacant table and having their meals like other employees.

He looked around, and found an unoccupied table with two chairs near the door leading to open area. Just when he was about to sit, a glimpse of the same tan colour caught his eye. With her back to him, Naina was standing alone at the other end of terrace, in a little patch of shade. Without another thought, Sameer opened the glass door and went out.

"Yahan dhoop mein akele kyon khadi hai yeh? Kuch hua hai kya? Hope all is well with her." He was worried.

"Achha baba, pakka promise." She chuckled.

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें