Pehla pehla pyar hai... pehli pehli baar hai

Sameer was nervous like hell. In the heat of the moment, he had asked Naina for a date... and she had accepted. Only to meet the girlfriend he had mentioned to her. Now he didn't know how to plan it.

"Kya bolunga? Seedhe seedhe bol dun kya ki Naina, woh ladki tum ho." He contemplated, then rejected immediately, "Old fashioned. Naina ke liye yeh sab purane tareeke nahi. Mujhe kuch different sochna padega... kuch aisa ki woh bas... bas foran haan keh de." Sameer paced his room that night, cracking his fingers.

The thought of her acceptance brought a longing smile on his face, "Naina, tum haan bologi na?"

Naina was tossing and turning in her bed. As if the two days at the resort were not enough to rattle her, Sameer's invitation left her jittery. After meeting Pallavi, she had realised she wouldn't be as at ease as she had presumed.

Pressing her forehead, she sat up, "Lekin manaa bhi toh nahi kar sakti thi na. Maine khud hi kaha tha mujhe uss ladki se milna hai... kyonki ek number ki idiot hun. Uff Naina, ek baar toh soch leti jab milegi toh kaise dekhegi dono ko ek saath."

Her heart wrenched at the mere thought... Sameer and another girl, his arm around her, his eyes filled with love for her, his smile at her... Naina pressed her temples.

"Don't get so attached, Naina. Tere sapne ka koi future nahi hai." She cautioned herself.

Sameer booked a restaurant... the entire place... for the coming Saturday. Saying it to her would be easier when they were alone. He spent the week checking out on google how he could make the evening special for her. Picking up ideas from all over, he planned a decoration theme, ordered flowers, decided a menu... made every elaborate arrangement he could. Friday morning, he called up the restaurant and cancelled everything. It was all too clichéd. Naina liked simple things. He had to make it simple but different, yet as beautiful as her.

Since it was the beginning of navratri, Sameer had to accompany his family to different functions both weekend nights. He couldn't get out of it as these were business related invitations. In the coming week, each time he planned something, a meeting or a client visit or some emergency at the factory made him cancel the plan at the last minute. He was at least thankful that he didn't have to explain to Naina, as every time cancellation happened before he asked her. Even the holidays were taken up by some or the other work... checking samples for Diwali gifts for the staff, clients and friends, ordering the gifts, arranging for them being sent to the clients, local and outstation ones. Sameer was overwhelmed with work, while his mind kept searching for opportunities when he could draw out a few hours for himself.

It was already one week past Dussehra and he had still not been able to plan the date.

"Lagta hai Diwali tak hi wait karna padega. Koi nahi beta Sameer. Jahan itne din intezar kiya, dus barah din aur sahi. Ho sakta hai meri life mein roshni Diwali pe hi aani likhi ho." He consoled himself one evening after his plan for next day also had to be put aside because of a meeting in the other part of the city.

Next day, Naina left office a little early since there was no work. Sameer and Mr Maheshwari had gone for a meeting and most of the staff had left early too. Bhalla aunty was seated in her garden when she reached home with Ayush.

"Arre waah, achhe time pe aayi hai. Chal aaja pakode khate hain. Roshni, chai le aa Naina ke liye bhi. Aur Kishore ko bol Ayush ke liye chocolate shake bana de." Aunty didn't leave any scope for Naina to put up an excuse.

"Achha sun puttar, kal ka kya socha hai?" Aunty asked few minutes later, as they sat sipping tea.

"Kal ka? Kyon aunty, kal kuch hai kya?" Naina gave her a perplexed look.

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें