CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

Third Person's Point of View

"Are you guys really...?" Eren's voice rang on the empty space.

"Yes. We're taking part in the upcoming operation too." Mikasa answered Eren, the group of friends from the 104th Cadet Corps gathered in the inventory of the Old Survey Corps castle.

Ymir sat on the crane box with her right foot up next to Y/N, who's had her chin resting on her palm as usual with a bored look in her eyes. In front of them is Reiner, who's leaning his weight on the taller crane boxes with his left arm.

Connie sat on the box with his elbows on his knees with Jean standing next to him. On the right side of Connie, is Berthold, Krista, and Sasha.

Jean stood in front of Eren and Mikasa, with Armin separating the two parties.

"Hey, Eren. I heard you tried to kill Mikasa when you turned into a Titan. What's that all about?" Jean questioned, eyebrows furrowed and voice cold.

Most of their friends know Jean likes Mikasa, especially Y/N, and so it isn't a surprise for Jean to be protective over the girl.

It does puzzle her how Jean can be very straight forward right now when all he does around Mikasa is stutter.

"It's not like that. He was swatting a fly." Mikasa tried to explain.

In the background, you can hear Y/N snicker from the stupidly obvious lie. She constantly nudged Ymir on the ribs until the taller woman cracked a smile and pushed her away jokingly.

"I'm not asking you." Jean cut Mikasa off harshly, making her and Eren gasp from hearing Jean's hostility towards the girl.

It was the first time his friends heard him speak like that, let alone to the girl he likes.

"Actually, Mikasa. That cut on your cheek looks pretty deep." Jean pointed out, his voice still stern but collected.

If she wouldn't tell him the truth, then he'll bluff his way into finding out what it is.

Mikasa turned her head away with an expressionless look, covering it with her hair. 

"When did you get it?" Jean asked again.

For a while, there were only silence and the faint sound of coal burning and fire igniting on the torches in the background.

Everyone knew what the truth is without Mikasa even answering them.

Eren looked troubled, looking down on the ground from embarrassment before speaking up. "Apparently, it's true. I tried to kill Mikasa when I was in Titan form."

You could hear the regret and discomfort from Eren's voice as he spoke, clearly concerned about the fact that he almost killed Mikasa, the closest person to him beside Armin.

"Apparently? Meaning you don't remember?" Jean grilled more until Y/N whined loudly behind him.

"I swear to God I can't believe I'm saying this, but give the Jaeger kid a break. He wasn't conscious that time, Trost boy. If you're so concerned about Mika-chan, then check her cut later yourself so you two will get some alone time together because clearly, you're Mikasa-deprived." Y/N finished with her amused devilish smirk, crossing her arms and putting one leg over the other as she leaned back on her seat.

Ymir gave her a side eye with her goofy smile and offered a fist bump in which Y/N accepted gladly. "Nice one, L/N."

"Love you too, Mimir."

"Fuck off." The taller woman scoffed and rolled her eyes, which made Y/N smile to herself more proudly.

Jean's cheeks heated up and sneered at Y/N after hearing her sentence with a sarcastic smile before facing Eren and Mikasa again.