CHAPTER NINETY

Third Person's Point of View

"Damn it!"

Bertholdt was fast to head over to Reiner and grabbed him by the shoulder, clasping him there tightly. "What are you right now, Reiner?" He pleads as his hands start to shake.

With what Y/N and Ymir uncovered earlier, everyone there now knows that Reiner has two personalities. Being a soldier and being... a warrior.

Whatever that was.

Y/N didn't make any effort to move her limbs or even her head but she did kept her ears open for the conversation the two will have.

If Bertholdt went over to Reiner's side just so he can talk to him, Y/N knows that something's up.

They took some distance away from her, keeping their conversation private.

They sure as hell won't disclose it to just anyone, especially her.

The blonde slapped the tall boy's hold on him away with his hand. "Relax, I'm a Warrior"

"You're saying you trust Ymir as a warrior? Isn't she the one who ate Marcel?" A sweat formed on Bertholdt's forehead, showing just how skeptical he is of this plan of Reiner's.

What if he isn't in his right self today when he needed him most? Bertholdt needs him on his best today, Reiner needs to be level headed, not someone who's unpredictable because he's thinking like he's those devils' ally.

Y/N saw the flares earlier. It's just as she expected. She knew that the Scouts will go after them but she was quite surprised on how fast they managed to catch up after the whole fiasco hours ago.

Surely, there were a lot of casualties. Soldiers, horses, injured and some most likely dead.

But it's not like she's complaining because now, pulling off her own plan just gotten way easier.

"Yes, that's my point. Ymir's motive is clear. Once she's turned human again, she probably roamed around and lived only caring about herself... until she met Krista. As cute as Krista is, we have other reasons to bring her to our side. She's an important person in a family of the Church. If Eren turns out to not be the coordinate, then our job isn't over yet. Having Krista with us at that point will make our search much easier." Reiner reasoned with Bertholdt, showing him that he's not another individual right now, just like he's implying.

Another set of flares shot up the sky, colored red this time.

"They're close." Bertholdt muttered but then his expression switched to a wistful one as he avoided Reiner's eyes. "Let's bring an end to it. The next time we come here, we can take that, Annie, and Krista back home. That way, we won't have to come here anymore."

"Right. And our mission will be over. But as for you," Reiner walked past Bertholdt, placing a hand on the tall boy's shoulder. "When we reach our hometown, tell Annie how you feel."

In a flash, Bertholdt became a flustered mess. His cheeks flared up, coloring it red as he stuttered on his words. "W-What do you mean?"

"You stare too much. Everyone can tell. Wasn't he obvious, L/N?"

Reiner spared the quiet woman behind him a glance and when their eyes met, Y/N blinked once and then purple color of her eyes disappeared.

This shocked Reiner for a moment, his jaw going slack.

"Yeah." The woman responded, blinking again then the purple colors came back to her irises.

Y/N saw the shift in Reiner's behavior.