Chapter 64

Erin and the team were seated in their boss's truck, awaiting Jay's turn for laser eye surgery.

"You're going to do great!" Erin said with a smile.

Antonio and the others nodded, offering words of comfort.

"It's time," Erin whispered.

Jay sighed and removed his glasses.

"You got this, bro! Woo!" Adam cheered.

Jay kissed Erin on the lips, and got out of the truck.

He made his way to the clinic at a leisurely pace and entered.

Hank caught sight of his daughter-in-law's anxious posture and offered reassurance.

"Halstead will be alright! He's going to have his eyes treated, and soon he won't need glasses anymore," Hank said with a smile.

Erin nodded and gazed out the window.

"Mama? When is daddy coming out of the doctor's? I'm hungry for pizza!" Ashlyn chattered.

Two hours had passed, and Erin's worry was growing.

"I'm sure he'll be out soon, sweetheart," Erin said with a smile.

Hank placed his hand on Erin's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

Before long, Jay was wheeled out in a wheelchair, his hand shielding his eyes.

Erin smiled and stepped out from the driver's side.

"Hi Baby!" Erin greeted with a smile.

The nurse glanced at Erin and passed her the bag of medication.

"He might be a bit groggy from the sedatives. His eyes are likely to burn for a while. The medication should help alleviate any pain, should he experience any," Linda explained.

Erin nodded, and Hank assisted Jay into the passenger side of the truck.

"Daddy!" Ashlyn exclaimed.

Jay placed his hands over his eyes again, attempting to stifle the urge to vomit.

"Let's be a little quiet, honey. Daddy's in a lot of pain," Adam whispered.

In a soft voice, Ashlyn offered her apologies and turned to face her siblings.

"Ready to go?" Erin asked.

Jay nodded, his breath hitching as he fought back the sudden urge to vomit.

"My eyes hurt so bad..." Jay whimpered.

Erin spotted a service station and pulled over.

"I know, baby. Would you like some medication or sunglasses?" Erin asked.

Jay gazed at Erin, tears welling in his eyes that already felt aflame.

"Both..." he mumbled faintly.

Erin nodded, extracted a pill from the blister pack, handed Jay a bottle of water, and gently set the cool sunglasses over his eyes.

"The medication should help ease the pain in your eyes and might even make you a bit drowsy," Erin cautioned.

Jay nodded, feeling the medication's effects start to take hold.

Within minutes, Jay was sound asleep, leaving Ashlyn worried.

"Daddy? Wanna play cards?" Ashlyn asked.

Receiving no response, she turned to her uncles and aunties with concern.

"Daddy has taken some medicine that makes him sleepy. He'll play cards with you once he wakes up and feels better," Antonio explained.