Chapter 180

Disclaimer: I know I haven't updated this book in awhile, my laptop broke and I had to use my iPad, so the pictures won't be uploaded for awhile. 

Spring break had just come to an end, but four-year-old Nadia, the little bossy boots, was already up and about, full of energy.

"Daddy?" Nadia babbled, her voice filled with curiosity.

Jay, who was handling the morning routine alone because Erin had Jury Duty, turned to face her.

"Yes, kiddo?" he responded, trying to muster some enthusiasm.

Nadia grinned mischievously, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"I want to stay with you!" she declared, her tone insistent.

Jay sighed deeply, feeling a dull ache forming in his head. He knew he needed to handle this carefully to avoid starting the day off on the wrong foot.

"No, I have to work and you have to go to school," he explained gently but firmly.

Nadia was not pleased with this answer and began to protest loudly.

"NO! DADDY! DADDY!" she shouted, her voice rising in pitch.

Jay leaned on the counter, feeling the weight of the morning pressing down on him. He sighed deeply, trying to gather his thoughts.

"Dad, are you okay?" Cassie asked, her voice filled with concern.

Jay nodded, though he felt far from okay. "Yeah, I'm going to lie down for a bit. Can you take Nadia to school?" he asked, hoping for some relief.

Cassie nodded. "What about Ashlyn?" she inquired.

"She's got a tummy bug, so she's staying home," Jay replied, his voice weary.

Cassie nodded again and began getting Nadia ready for school.

In the bedroom, Jay tried to get some rest, but the sound of Ashlyn vomiting from her room soon woke him. He got up and walked into Ashlyn's room, his heart heavy with concern.

"Hey, baby girl," he said softly.

Ashlyn sobbed and coughed, her face pale and distressed.

"It hurts, daddy!" she cried.

Jay gently lifted Ashlyn into his arms and carried her to the bathroom, trying to comfort her as best as he could.

Jay gently lifted Ashlyn into his arms and carried her to the bathroom, trying to comfort her as best as he could. He held her close, rubbing her back soothingly.

"It's okay, sweetheart. Daddy's here," he murmured softly, trying to calm her down.

Ashlyn clung to him, her small body trembling. Jay felt a pang of sympathy and wished he could take away her discomfort.

After a while, Ashlyn's sobs subsided, and she leaned against Jay, exhausted. He carefully cleaned her up and carried her back to her room, tucking her into bed.

"Try to rest, baby girl. I'll be right here if you need anything," Jay said, brushing a strand of hair from her forehead.

Ashlyn nodded weakly, her eyes already closing. Jay sat by her bedside for a few moments, watching her breathe more steadily. He felt a mix of relief and exhaustion wash over him.

Just as he was about to leave the room, his phone buzzed. It was a message from Erin, checking in on how things were going. Jay quickly typed a response, assuring her that everything was under control, even though he felt far from it.