Chapter 65

The whole team was gathered in the bullpen, with Erin and Jay at their desks, while Jay experienced a sense of the walls closing in on him.

Jay felt as though his heart rate was surging beyond normal, and he found it difficult to breathe.

"H-Help..." Jay gasped out.

Erin's attention snapped to her husband, who was struggling for breath.

"Oh my—Jay!" Erin cried out.

The unit all looked round, and noticed Erin guiding her husband to breathe.

Antonio stood up and hurried over.

"What happened?" he inquired.

Erin shrugged, then realization dawned on her.

"Oh no, it's Ben Carson's birthday today," she muttered.

The entire team was aware that Jay had been diligently following leads and suspects to apprehend the murderer of his nephew.

Jay mumbled unintelligible words as Erin pulled him into her embrace.

"It's okay... I understand what today is... Just take deep, calm breaths, baby," Erin soothed.

Jay wept profusely, gripping Erin's hands tightly.

Later on, Erin settled Jay into the breakroom following another breakdown. This time, Erin gently rocked him until he fell asleep.

The door swung open, and little Ashlyn came waddling in.

"Mama? I want daddy to play cards!" Ashlyn exclaimed.

Erin opened her mouth to respond, but Hank stepped in.

"Daddy's having a tough day, sweetheart. It's his nephew's birthday today, and he's no longer with us. Let's let daddy rest in mama's arms, and we'll come back to check on him later," Hank explained.

Ashlyn nodded and exited the room with Hank.

Once Hank and Ashlyn were gone, Erin tenderly positioned Jay's dangling arm onto her lap.

Jay awoke promptly, and Ashlyn wandered in, clutching a drawing.

"Hi Tigger!" Jay greeted warmly.

Ashlyn thrust the drawing towards Jay's face, beaming gently.

"Alright! Let's have a look at your masterpiece!" Jay said with a smile.

Ashlyn climbed onto the couch and nestled into Jay's embrace.

As Jay glanced over the drawing, he planted a kiss on his little girl's head.

"Ben would have adored this, sweetheart..." Jay murmured, his voice catching.

Ashlyn beamed a smile and waddled out of the room.

"Hi, sweetheart—" Erin began.

Catching sight of her husband, Erin walked over to him.

"Oh. Babe!" Erin smiled.

Jay looked up, and blinked back his tears.

"Look! Our little 2 Year old drew this..." Jay smiled.

Erin nodded and embraced her husband tightly.

"Yes! She's quite the artist. Babe..." Erin said with a smile.

Jay dropped the picture and sobbed.

"Come here, baby. You can cry in my arms..." Erin comforted.

Jay collapsed into Erin's arms and continued to sob. Erin lifted him onto her lap, gently running her fingers over his back.

"Daddy? Do you want to play? What happened? Why is daddy crying?" Ashlyn asked.

Erin glanced over and offered a gentle smile.

"Daddy needs the room to be quiet for a little while... We'll come out soon, baby girl," Erin reassured.

Ashlyn was bewildered; at two years old, she sought playtime with her parents, not to witness their tears.

"But-" Ashlyn began.

Hank entered and swept Ashlyn into his embrace.

"Daddy's not up for playing right now, lovebug, but he will be later," Hank assured with a nod.

Ashlyn pouted and nestled her head against Hank's shoulder.

"Thanks, Hank," Erin said with a smile.

Hank nodded and gently shut the breakroom door.

After Hank and Ashlyn had left, Erin noticed that Jay was fast asleep. She gently laid his head down on her lap and turned him onto his back to make him more comfortable

.Erin did what Jay's mom would always do to keep Jay asleep for a few hours: she gently grazed her fingers over his eyes.

In the bullpen, the unit was keeping Ashlyn busy.

Ashlyn let her toy truck fall and posed a question.

"Grandpa? When can daddy play with us?" Ashlyn inquired.

Hank sighed and looked up.

"He might want to take a nap, after he's feeling better... Then we can all play!" Hank said with a smile.

Ashlyn cheered and imitated car sounds.

Shortly after, Erin and Jay exited the breakroom.

Ashlyn spotted Jay first and rushed into his embrace.

"Hi, Baby!" Jay greeted her warmly.

Ashlyn settled in, coughing gently.

"Are you feeling ill, sweetheart?" Erin inquired.

Jay checked his daughter's forehead and detected a mild fever.

"She's running a bit of a fever. I'll get some medicine for her," Jay proposed.

Erin agreed, cradling Ashlyn in her comforting embrace.

"Which flavor should I get for her, Strawberry or Orange?" Jay pondered.

Erin glanced at her husband and responded, "Get her the orange syrup... I can always add some sugar to it if needed." She nodded in agreement.

Jay returned the nod and gently kissed Ashlyn's warm nose, saying, "I'll be back soon, Bugs," with a smile.

Ashlyn coughed and sniffled.

Jay descended the stairs and left the bullpen.

Subsequently, Ashlyn experienced a breakdown; she was not at all well.

Erin was softly swaying Ashlyn and gently patting her small back.

"Hey, hey, shh... It's alright," Erin soothed.

Ashlyn cried and called out for her father.

"Where the hell is Jay?" Erin sighed.

Jay returned to the bullpen and hurried upstairs.

"Sorry! Traffic was horrendous!" Jay exclaimed.

Jay measured the syrup and passed it to Erin.

"This will help your cough, sweetheart..." Erin whispered.

Erin carefully drizzled the syrup into Ashlyn's mouth and cleaned the spill on her face.

After Awhile, Erin, Jay, and Ashlyn were fast asleep in their bedroom.

Hi My Readers!!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!

Feel free to Comment and Vote!!

~Stay Safe 🙂