Chapter 135

It was the day Jay was discharged from the hospital with injuries still healing, and he was staying at Hank's place.

Hank entered, set down Jay's bag, and assisted Jay in slipping his coat over his arm.

"Stupid nurse! She totally ignored me when I asked for some help..." Jay grumbled.

Hank chuckled quietly and adjusted the strap on Jay's arm.

"Are you ready to go?" Hank asked.

Jay nodded and proceeded to walk out of the room at a leisurely pace.

"Erin has caught a cold, and she believes she'll be alright. I'm not so sure..." Hank said, shaking his head.

Jay chuckled; that was his girl, always optimistic.

"The bed is ready for you to take a nap after you've taken your painkillers," Hank explained. "I spoke to Will, and he mentioned that he could only provide the drowsy kind. I tried to persuade him, but if he prescribed the non-drowsy ones, you'd be in pain for a while..."

Jay sighed and entered the elevator.

"I'll likely be asleep by the time we return. The nurse administered some painkillers before discharging me and removing the IV," Jay explained.

Hank nodded and pressed the elevator button.

The two men quickly settled into the truck, with Jay resting against the window.

 Hank observed Jay struggling to keep his eyes open and recognized his fatigue. "You can sleep if you want. You don't have to wait until we get back," Hank offered reassuringly.

Jay shook his head and let out a sigh. "No, I'll be fine. I'm not fond of sleeping in trucks, not after last time," Jay alluded.

Hank nodded, recalling the incident that occurred under Pat's watch.

After a few minutes, Hank pulled into the driveway and assisted Jay out of the car.

Jay exited slowly and accompanied Hank to the door.

Hank opened the door and set the keys in the bowl.

"BABE! WE'RE BACK!" Hank yelled.

Trudy appeared, smiling.

"Hi, my two favorite men!" Trudy greeted.

Jay offered a weak smile and mumbled.

"Can I take a nap upstairs?" Jay inquired.

Trudy nodded with a smile.

"Of course! You don't need to ask, honey," Trudy assured.

Jay returned the smile and headed upstairs.

"Wait! Hand me your coat; I'll hang it up," Trudy offered, still smiling.

Jay removed his coat and handed it to Trudy.

Within five minutes, Jay had taken off his shoes and fallen asleep as soon as he climbed into bed.

Erin was in her apartment with the children when Ashlyn started arguing with Cassie.

"Give it back!" demanded Ashlyn.

Cassie groaned, tugging harder at the object.

"Enough, both of you! Cassie, return Ashlyn's toy truck. Ashlyn, go to your room and play. Cassie, focus on studying for your exams or find another activity that won't lead to arguments," Erin commanded.

Cassie and Ashlyn nodded and Cassie picked Nadia up.

After the kids left. Erin picked up her phone and texted Jay.