Chapter 169

In the still of the night, Jay felt the gentle touch of a small hand on his face.

Blinking his eyes open, he saw Ashlyn standing there.

"Ashlyn?" he murmured sleepily.

With a nod, Ashlyn's voice came in a hushed tone, "I don't wanna go to school..."

Jay let out a soft sigh, "Ashlyn, you've still got two more hours before school. Go back to sleep, and I'll wake you when it's time."

Ashlyn pouted, starting to protest, "But-"

Jay cut her off with a tired groan, "Ashlyn, it's 3AM. This isn't the time. Please, go back to bed."

Tears welling up, Ashlyn turned and left the room, the door closing with a definitive thud behind her.

At the sound, Erin woke up, alarmed, "Jay? What's happening?"

Exhausted, Jay responded, "It's Ashlyn... she's not wanting to go to school, and now I've got this headache..."

Erin reached out, her fingers gently tracing down Jay's head, soothingly, "Just relax, lay back down," she whispered.

With another sigh, Jay complied, letting his eyes fall shut once more.

Erin softly massaged the area under Jay's eyes, which helped him remain asleep for several hours.

Erin's lips curved into a smile as she softly shut her eyes.

In the morning, Jay entered Ashlyn's bedroom and flicked on the light.

Ashlyn groaned, thumb in mouth.

"Come on!" Jay urged.

Reluctantly, Ashlyn climbed out of bed and trudged downstairs.

"I'm not going!" she declared, shaking her head.

Undeterred, Jay prepared Ashlyn's baby drink and sandwiches, tucking them into the brown bag.

"You will listen. Put your uniform on," Jay insisted.

Defiant, Ashlyn shook her head again and sent the lunch bag tumbling to the floor.

"Ashlyn! I won't tolerate this behavior! I'm feeling unwell, and you're only making things more difficult. Go and put on your uniform," Jay repeated firmly.

Ashlyn made her way to the couch and took a seat.

"You have five seconds!" Jay shouted from across the room.

With her arms folded, Ashlyn remained seated.

"Five!" Jay announced.

"Four!" he continued.

"Three!" he counted down.

"Two!" he exclaimed.

Rising, Ashlyn donned her uniform.

"Thank you! Let's go," Jay said in a hushed tone.

Exiting the apartment, Jay drove Ashlyn to her school.

Upon entering the driver's side, Jay's vision became speckled with spots.

He shook his head in an attempt to clear the visual disturbance and continued driving towards the district.

Arriving at the bullpen, Erin immediately noticed something was amiss with Jay.

"Jay?" Erin called out with concern.

She approached and supported a shaking Jay.

"My love," Erin expressed with affection.

Guiding Jay to her desk, Erin knelt before him.