Chapter 167

The morning at Erin and Jay's apartment kicked off with the usual drama.

In the kitchen, Jay, the unflappable parent, was busy packing Ashlyn's lunch as she pleaded with him to let her stay home.

"Daddy, please!" she implored.

But Jay, ever composed, finished packing the lunch and placed it in her schoolbag, reminding her of Miss Thwaites, the school's own superhero.

Ashlyn, however, had other ideas and demonstrated her opinion by sending her lunch flying to the floor.

"Ashlyn! That was a work of art..." Jay almost let out a sigh.

Ashlyn, not to be swayed, strode into the living room, her arms folded in a mute but determined protest.

"Ashlyn! Five seconds to put your shoes on!" Jay's voice echoed, the countdown beginning.

Erin rose and guided Ashlyn to the door.

"Mama, I don't wanna go to school..." Ashlyn mumbled.

Erin, firm yet gentle, sighed.

"I know, sweetheart, but school isn't optional..." She replied.

Ashlyn flung her shoes off and crossed her arms defiantly.

"I'll handle it, Erin," Jay whispered.

Erin stood aside as Jay slipped Ashlyn's shoes back on.

"No! No!" Ashlyn protested.

Jay lifted Ashlyn and carried her out the door.

As the door slammed shut, the team looked on with concern.

Erin sipped her coffee and began messaging her brother.

Hours later, Jay came back, Ashlyn in tow. Ashlyn burst through the door, flinging her shoes aside. "Wasn't dad supposed to drop you off?" Erin asked.

Ashlyn just nodded, already engrossed in her beloved show.

"Honey, what's up?" Erin probed. Jay just heaved a sigh and trudged up the stairs. "Aren't you going after him?" Adam chimed in.

Erin shook her head, a soft sigh escaping her. "I'll wait a bit..." she agreed.

Adam returned the nod and took a leisurely sip of his coffee.

Minutes passed, and Erin ascended the stairs, finding Jay sprawled on the bed.

Gently closing the door, Erin tiptoed closer.

"Babe...?" Erin's whisper barely broke the silence.

Jay let out a sniffle and propped up.

"I'm all good!" Jay's whisper was unconvincing.

Erin hopped onto the bed, grasping Jay's arm.

"You're not fooling anyone with that act..." Erin nudged.

Another sigh and sniffle from Jay.

"Alright, you caught me... I went and had a seizure," Jay admitted with a sheepish grin.

Erin was all arms in a flash, her sharp intake of breath muffled by the hug.

"Shh, no worries. I'm your rock," Erin cooed, the very picture of calm.

A single tear escaped as Jay clung to Erin like a koala to a tree.

"Honey, we're in this together," Erin whispered with a soft voice.

Jay let out a weary sigh and gave in to the eyelid droop.

"So sleepy..." he murmured.

With a gentle smile, Erin fluffed up the pillows like a pro and eased Jay down.

"Take a nap. Dream of desserts. We'll hit the restaurant in two shakes," Erin said, the promise of food hanging in the air.

Jay's eyes fluttered shut, and he bobbed his head, already halfway to dreamland.

"Time to ditch the hoodie..." Erin murmured.

With a gentle heave, Erin hoisted Jay just enough to peel off his hoodie.

Erin left the bedroom and walked downstairs.

"Hey! How's Halstead?" Hank asked.

Erin sighed and sat down.

"He had a seizure. I'm gonna call Will..." Erin suggested.

The team all nodded and looked at each other.

Erin dialled Will and sat down on the couch.

After a few hours. The team were all camped in their hotel room and they were fast asleep.

Hi My Readers!!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!

Feel free to Comment and Vote!!

~Stay Safe 🙂