Chapter 173

In the dead of night, Jay awoke with a start, his breaths coming in heavy gasps.

"Whoa!" She whispered.

It was Erin's voice that he heard.

"Are you okay, babe?" she asked with concern.

Jay exhaled deeply and swung his legs off the bed.

"I feel sick..." he managed to say before gagging.

Erin guided Jay to the bathroom and helped him sit down.

"Don't worry, it's just the nightmare. It can upset your tummy..." She comforted him gently.

Jay shut his eyes, attempting to erase the memory of the girl he once held in his arms back in Afghanistan.

"I can't get it out of my mind..." Jay murmured.

Erin settled on the floor and gently drew circles on Jay's lower back.

"What is it, baby? What's wrong?" Erin inquired.

Jay's shoulders tightened as he answered.

"The girl... The image won't leave my mind. The blood... The bones..." Jay shared, tormented by the recollection.

Erin wrapped Jay in a comforting hug, pulling him close and rocking gently.

"Close your eyes, darling. Lay your head on my shoulder, let your eyelids drop, and concentrate only on the soft touch and calming strokes on your back," Erin consoled.

Jay closed his eyes, permitting the transient images to pass through his thoughts.

"It's still there..." He whispered faintly.

Erin continued to calm Jay's back with a soft pat, her fingers delivering a soothing massage.

"Just give it time, my love..." She murmured in return.

Jay clenched his fists and ground them against the floor.

"No, not against the ground; rub them against my legs instead," Erin spoke softly.

Jay rubbed his fists onto Erin's legs and let out a soft sigh.

"We still have about two hours before we need to clock in," Erin replied.

Jay nodded and settled back into bed.

By morning, everyone was gathered downstairs.

Erin was on the couch, clutching her stomach.

"Hey, is your stomach still bothering you?" Jay inquired.

Erin nodded and let out a soft groan.

"Do you have diarrhea?" Jay questioned.

 Erin nodded again, releasing a deep sigh.

"I'll rub your tummy," Jay murmured softly.

He tenderly massaged Erin's stomach.

As Erin lifted her leg, her hand slipped off the couch.

Kim was occupied with packing her suitcase while helping Ashlyn fill her little case with armbands.

"What is Daddy doing with Mama?" Ashlyn asked in her childlike manner.

Kim caught a glimpse of Erin, whose eyes were rolling back in a peculiar manner.

"Mommy's just got a bit of an upset tummy, but Daddy's handling it," Kim assured with a smile.

Ashlyn gave a nod of understanding, and then Cassie's voice reached Kim.