Chapter 163

Jay was asleep on Erin's chest while she tenderly massaged his temples and pressed a damp washcloth to his forehead.

"Mmm..." Jay murmured.

Erin smiled and softly hushed him.

"It's okay. I know you're still tired. I'm just washing your hair..." Erin whispered soothingly.

Jay closed his eyes once more and nestled into the comforting warmth of Erin's knees and hands.

"Erin..." Jay murmured.

Erin responded with a nod and a reassuring smile.

"I-I don't want to die..." Jay's whisper was barely audible.

Setting the towel aside, Erin enveloped Jay in a tender embrace.

"You're not going anywhere. I promise you..." Erin's voice was soothing.

Tears streamed down Jay's face as he clung to Erin, his body shaking with sobs.

Erin sighed and gently rubbed Jay's trembling back.

"It's okay. I know you're scared..." Erin whispered.

She rocked Jay softly, hoping to coax him into a light slumber.

Jay swiftly drifted into sleep, while Erin tenderly raised his head to dry his hair.

Come midday, Jay found himself on the sofa, bracing to have a talk with his children.

Cassie and Ashlyn bounded down the stairs and settled on the sofa next to him.

"I have something to tell you both, and I want you to know that I love you both so very much..." Jay began.

Cassie and Ashlyn nodded, listening intently.

"You know that little thing in my head? Well, the doctors and Will said they can't remove it..." Jay continued.

Cassie and Ashlyn nodded again, leaning in closer.

"That means I might not be around much longer..." Jay added.

Confusion appeared on Cassie and Ashlyn's faces.

"What do you mean? Will said you're going to get better!" Cassie objected.

Jay sniffled before responding.

"I know, but he can't fix this, sweetheart..." Jay whispered.

Cassie sniffled and looked up.

"But Grandpa could call clinics and get you into drug trials!" Cassie suggested eagerly.

Jay shook his head and took Cassie and Ashlyn's hands.

"No, baby..." Jay whispered softly.

Ashlyn looked up, tears forming.

"You're going to die and leave us...?" Ashlyn cried.

Jay nodded slowly, his own eyes moist.

"Yes, darling, but I'm not leaving just yet. I still have time with you and Cassie..." Jay reassured them.

Ashlyn burst into tears, and Jay enveloped his children in his embrace.

"Hey, if you keep crying, you'll start me off..." Jay said, his voice breaking.

Cassie chuckled weakly and clung to Jay.

A few minutes later, Jay felt a churn in his stomach.

He stood up and hurried toward the bathroom.

"I'll go..." Hank murmured.

Hank tiptoed to the bathroom and popped in.

"Hey, little trooper..." Hank murmured.