Chapter 67

The unit was at an apartment building that had been set on fire, and Pat Halstead, Jay's father, was inside.

Jay approached the chief of Firehouse 51, eager to find out where Pat was.

"Chief? Chief? My dad lives in the building, apartment 23C," Jay replied.

Boden nodded and raised his radio.

"How's it looking in there, Casey?" Boden inquired.

The room Casey was in was engulfed in flames as he attempted to combat the fire.

Casey lifted his radio and responded.

"It's pretty bad in here, Chief! There are fire sparks everywhere!" Casey transmitted.

Hearing the call, Jay dashed into the apartment building.

"I can't allow an injured man on my fire ground!" Boden responded firmly.

Exhaling deeply, Jay countered.

"My dad's in there, Chief!" he insisted.

Boden nodded and turned to the building manager.

"We need the power shut down immediately," Boden commanded.

Chris sighed, shaking his head.

"Only Maintenance has the authority to cut the power," Chris explained with a sigh.

Jay looked at Boden and sighed.

"May I assist? I could guide all the uninjured civilians to the back of the building," Jay proposed.

Boden nodded in agreement and accepted Jay's proposal.

"ALRIGHT! ANY NON-INJURED PEOPLE, HEAD TO THE BACK OF THE BUILDING! MOVE BACK!" Jay yelled.

The civilians began to move slowly towards the back for safety, while the medics checked them to ensure they were unharmed.

Erin and Jay approached the building manager and presented a photo of Pat.

"Look, you must have seen this man! He's an old grouch who takes pleasure in being a nuisance. He despises seeing others happy and relishes shouting at them," Jay explained.

Chris nodded, recalling the sight of Pat.

"Yes, he was wheeling Mr. Strouse..." Chris acknowledged.

Jay turned to Boden and responded.

"He's definitely there! Equip me, and I'll get him," Jay affirmed with a nod.

Boden shook his head and responded, "My men will get him. Hang tight!" He nodded in assurance.

Jay let out a sigh, while Erin softly patted his shoulder.

Soon, Pat was safely removed from the building and placed onto the stretcher.

"Dad! Daddy!" Jay shouted.

Pat coughed and gasped for air.

"I'm okay, kiddo! I'm okay..." Pat managed to say between coughs.

Jay nodded and turned to Lucy.

"Listen! His name is Pat Halstead. He underwent bypass heart surgery two weeks ago!" Jay informed her.

Lucy nodded in understanding and connected the necessary wires and leads.

"Let's load up and go!" Lucy commanded.

Together, Lucy and Jake wheeled the stretcher into the ambulance.

"I'm going with him!" Jay insisted.