Chapter 124

The team was in the bullpen when their radios crackled to life.

"All units in the 21st and all units citywide. CFD requires assistance with a multi-car crash at the corner of 24th and Wabash," dispatched the radio.

The team rose swiftly to respond.

Erin and Jay were the first to arrive at the scene and approached it.

"What do we have?" Jay inquired.

Kelly came over, sipping his water.

"A man and a woman. Both are unconscious. Casey is working to extricate them from the car now!" Kelly reported.

Erin and Jay acknowledged with a nod and moved toward the car.

"MEDICS!" Casey yelled.

Dawson and Shay, followed by Lucy and Lopez, approached.

"Place them here," Gabby commanded.

Casey gently laid the woman down, and Cruz positioned the man on the other stretcher.

"Do we have any ID for these two?" Erin questioned.

Jay glanced at the woman and recognized the individuals.

"It's Gail and Danny..." Jay murmured.

Erin looked at her partner and exhaled.

"I'm sorry, love," Erin murmured.

Jay gave a nod and sighed deeply.

"Lopez shouted, "I've got a pulse on this one!"

Lucy hurriedly loaded Danny into the ambulance and shut the doors with a bang.

Meanwhile, Gabby and Shay were busy loading Gail into another ambulance, already intubated.

"Their both going to Chicago Med! You can follow behind!" Gabby nodded.

Erin and Jay exchanged nods as the ambulances pulled away.

"Let's go see them..." Erin whispered.

Jay gave a nod and made his way to the truck.

Soon, the unit returned to the bullpen, and Jay attempted to discuss the case without succumbing to tears.

Jay placed the photos of Danny and Gail on the evidence board and began to explain.

"Danny and Gail Carson were involved in a multi-car collision. They have both been transported to the hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries," Jay explained.

Erin's desk phone rang with news regarding Danny and Gail.

"Alright, thank you. Yes, I'll let him know," Erin nodded in agreement.

Erin ended the call and set the phone down.

"That was Med. Danny and Gail died during surgery. Brain bleeds..." Erin stated.

Jay's heart shattered, tears gathering in his eyes.

"Halstead? You can take the day off if you need," Hank suggested.

Jay met Hank's gaze and shook his head.

"No, I'll be fine," Jay affirmed with a nod.

Hank returned the nod, though he sensed his detective was far from fine.

"Alright, this has escalated from a multi-car crash to Vehicular Homicide. Let's canvass the area to determine what led to the accident and talk to any witnesses. They might have seen something," Hank commanded.

The team acknowledged with nods, and Hank caught Jay's attention.

"Jay, can I have a word?" Hank inquired.

Jay nodded and proceeded into Hank's office.

Erin observed as the door shut and departed with the unit.

"Jay, I'm speaking to you as a father now. You don't need to work on this case if you want to take the rest of the day off. No one will fault you for it..." Hank offered reassurance.

Jay remained seated on the couch, shaking his head.

"I'm fine. If I go home, I'll probably just end up hiding in a corner and crying my eyes out. I can't do that right now... I need to be with my team..." Jay admitted.

Hank gave a nod in response.

"Alright, go work the case," Hank commanded.

Jay acknowledged with a nod and exited the office.

After a few hours, the team had been sent home, and Jay was taking a brief nap in the bedroom while Erin packed Ashlyn's overnight bag.

Erin zipped up the bag and smiled.

"You've got some fresh diapers, some fresh clothes, and Tigger Bear!" Erin said with a smile.

Ashlyn giggled and slung her bag over her shoulders.

"Cassie, look after your sister. I don't want her going missing while you're in Blackpool," Erin instructed.

Cassie nodded and slipped on her heels.

"Bye girls! Have fun! Love you!" Erin called out.

Cassie closed the door, and Erin walked into the bedroom.

As Erin got into bed, she fell asleep.

Jay was wideawake and couldn't sleep, especially after finding out that the parents he had known since childhood had passed away.

Hi My Readers!!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!

Feel free to Comment and Vote!!

~Stay Safe 🙂