Chapter 113

Two weeks had passed since Erin and Jay's children were taken, and they were finding the separation difficult to cope with.

Erin awoke with a start, finding Jay sitting against the headboard, his phone in hand, tears streaming down his face.

"Babe, what's up?" Erin inquired.

Jay was gazing at photographs of himself and the kids in the garden and the bullpen.

"It's nothing. Just something in my eye," Jay fibbed.

Erin could tell Jay was erecting barriers, and it tore her apart inside.

"Alright, don't stay on your phone too long. You need some sleep," Erin said.

Jay nodded and kept his eyes on his phone.

Ten minutes later, Erin woke up to find Jay asleep, his phone still in his hand, and his head resting against the headboard.

Erin rose from bed and moved to Jay's side. Gently, she extracted the phone from Jay's grasp, causing him to wake with a start.

"Huh?" Jay mumbled groggily.

With a soft shush, Erin set the phone on the nightstand.

"I'm just tucking you in. It's okay," Erin whispered soothingly.

She eased Jay back onto the pillows, positioning him on his stomach, knowing he would sleep more soundly that way.

Jay released a gentle, sleepy sigh, and Erin carefully lifted his arm, which had slipped off the bed, placing it back onto the comfort of the mattress.

After ensuring Jay was settled and could sleep, Erin returned to bed and snuggled closer to him.

Jay murmured his children's names in his sleep, a sound that shattered Erin's heart.

"Shush... I'm right here, honey, right here..." Erin soothed.

The door swung open, and Adam and Kim stepped inside.

They observed Erin gently swaying Jay in her embrace.

"Have we interrupted something?" inquired Adam.

Erin glanced at her friends and negated with a shake of her head.

"Not at all. I'm just soothing Jay back to sleep. He's been calling out the children's names in his sleep; it really breaks my heart," Erin shared.

Kim and Adam acknowledged with a nod, seeing Jay now peacefully asleep.

"That's it, go back to sleep," Erin said with a smile.

Jay's eyes closed, and he quickly fell asleep.

"He's out," Kim said, smiling.

Erin nodded, carefully placed Jay on his stomach, and gently lifted his shirt to rub his back, ensuring he stayed asleep until it was time to clock in.

"Yeah, putting him to sleep doesn't take long. I learned the trick from his mom," Erin said, still smiling.

Kim and Adam exchanged smiles at the memory and continued watching.

Soon, Jay was awake and attempting to call his kids.

"Cassie isn't answering..." Jay sighed.

Erin handed Jay a beer and sat beside him.

"She's probably taking care of Ashlyn, babe," Erin suggested.

Jay nodded, his eyes closing.

"I want my kids..." Erin whispered softly.