Chapter 98

The team was all in Erin's truck, and it was time for Jay to see the doctor who would diagnose him with an eating disorder.

Jay was anxious, continuously tapping his foot on the floor.

"You're going to be fine! The doctor will just examine your stomach, check your weight and height. Everything will go according to plan!" Erin reassured him.

Jay nodded, turning to Erin.

"Will you come with me?" he asked.

Erin's smile broadened as she nodded.

"Of course, I will, babe," she replied.

Jay returned the nod and unbuckled his seatbelt.

"You got this, kiddo," Hank said, encouragingly.

Jay grinned, and Adam chimed in.

"I'll get you a whole bucket of chicken," he promised with a smile.

The unit turned to Adam, their collective sigh filling the space.

"Why would you say that?" Antonio inquired.

Erin and Jay exited the truck and entered the medical center.

The medical center was quiet despite the presence of many patients, and Erin and Jay found seats.

Erin held Jay's hand, whispering words of comfort.

"JASON HALSTEAD!" Liam called out.

Jay rose and followed Liam, with Erin close behind.

"Welcome! How is Cassie doing? I haven't seen her since last week," Liam said with a smile.

Erin and Jay nodded, returning the smile.

"She's doing well! Keeping up with school and in perfect health!" Erin responded cheerfully.

Liam nodded and looked at Jay.

"I can tell you're feeling a bit nervous, Jay," Liam observed.

Jay looked up, offering a sheepish smile.

"Sorry! It's just a habit..." Jay murmured.

Liam chuckled softly and prepared his equipment.

"Now, if you'd like to remove your coat, we'll start with some basic tests. Blood pressure, height, weight?" Liam instructed.

Jay nodded and passed his coat to Erin.

"I'm not going to find anything in here, am I? An engagement ring, perhaps? Some pencils, or one of my pens?" Erin joked, attempting to distract Jay from thoughts of the doctor's tests.

Jay shook his head as Liam fastened the blood pressure cuff around his arm.

"Just a small, tight squeeze," Liam cautioned.

Jay felt the pressure and suppressed a groan.

The monitor displayed fluctuating numbers before settling on a reading.

"60 over 100. That's quite low. I'll prescribe some medication to help with that," Liam offered.

Jay nodded, biting his nails anxiously.

"Step onto the scales, please," Liam instructed.

Jay complied, and the scales confirmed his weight was well below the normal range.

"18.5. That's acceptable," Liam said with a nod of assurance, yet he was aware that it indicated being significantly underweight.

Jay stepped off the scales and positioned himself under the height chart.