Chapter 78

Two weeks had passed since Jay was hospitalized for stomach cancer, and he was eager to return home.

As Jay slept soundly on Erin's chest, she tenderly scratched the front of his head, her fingers lightly brushing across his closed eyelids.

Hank and the children entered the room and observed Erin and Jay's posture.

"Isn't daddy coming home today?" asked Ashlyn.

Erin glanced over and whispered back.

"Yes, he is. He's simply resting for a bit before being discharged. Don't anticipate him being active once we're home; he's still recovering," Erin clarified.

Ashlyn nodded, and Jay stirred awake slowly.

"Mmm... What time is it?" Jay murmured.

Erin glanced at her watch and responded.

"It's 6 AM. Babe, you're not scheduled for discharge until 11 AM. You still have a few more hours to rest if you want," Erin said reassuringly.

Jay groaned and sat up, wincing.

"No, if I go back to sleep, I'll just keep sleeping..." Jay murmured.

Erin nodded, and Will walked in.

"Morning, y'all!" Will grinned.

Jay lay against the pillows, placing his hand on his forehead.

"Do you have to be so ridiculously loud? I've got a headache..." Jay groaned.

Will walked over and increased the pain relief in Jay's IV drip.

"I'll come back an hour before you're scheduled to leave," Will suggested.

Erin nodded, and Jay snuggled under the duvets.

"Have a nap for a bit. Babe. You still got awhile. I'll wake you when it's time to get dressed." Erin offered.

Jay was already asleep, and Erin sat on the chair, playing on her phone.

"Do you mind if we stop at Wholefoods? I have to do some grocery shopping?" Erin asked.

Hank shook his head, and smiled.

"Mmm..." Jay mumbled.

Erin got up, and walked over.

"What's wrong, baby?" Erin inquired.

Jay sighed and murmured, "Bellyache..."

Erin approached and slid under the covers beside Jay.

"Where does it hurt, bubs?" she whispered.

Jay indicated the spot, and Erin softly massaged it.

"Is this better?" Erin questioned.

Jay nodded, releasing a gentle sigh.

"It's okay, you can go back to sleep," Erin soothed.

Ashlyn came by and placed her toys aside.

"When will daddy wake up?" Ashlyn asked.

Erin looked up, and spoke up.

"Daddy's in a bit of pain, and still weak from his operation. Give him time to wakeup, and we'll go home when Uncle Will comes..." Hank explained.

Ashlyn nodded, and cuddled into Cassie's chest.

After a few hours. Jay was in his joggers and shirt, and was getting released from the hospital.

Doris held Jay's hand, and gently pulled out the needle in both arms.

"Ouch..." Jay whispered.

Doris wiped the small bit of blood, and plastered the small needle marks.