Arc 4: Chapter 94

In the evening, Jing Ye came to Linhua Palace.

  This is the most remote area in the palace. Even palace servants seldom pass by here under normal circumstances. It was the residence of Jingye's biological mother before. After the new emperor ascended the throne, the Ministry of Internal Affairs specially sent people to repair it. It took a lot of effort to maintain its original appearance as much as possible and turned the "desolate and dilapidated" into "quiet and elegant".

  Unfortunately, the other party did not get to witness her son ascend the throne. Ever since Jingye was old enough to understand, he had been bedridden and died of coughing up blood three years ago. She was only given the honorific title of empress dowager.

  Waving his hand to stop the eunuch beside him from reporting, Jing Ye personally stepped forward and pushed open the palace door, walked around the screen, and saw the pale young man with his eyes closed tiredly.

  Perhaps it was because of the pain or a nightmare, the other person did not sleep well, his brows were tightly furrowed, leaving a deep mark.

  Jingye had never seen Lu Tingyun like this before.

  Fragile, uneasy, and pitiable. In my impression, he is always full of vigor and vitality. Even on the day he was driven out of the capital, he was still stubborn and obstinate in his bones, as if even the falling sky could not make him bend.

  Subconsciously, Jing Ye reached out his hand, trying to soothe his worries.

  Unexpectedly, as soon as he moved, the young man trapped in the quilt suddenly opened his eyes. After seeing who the person was, he not only did not let down his guard, but also hid away in disgust.

  The young man had not yet recovered from his serious injury and was suddenly awakened. He coughed violently with the slightest movement, as if he wanted to vomit out all his internal organs. Jing Ye had no choice but to stay where he was and gave a wink. Immediately, a palace servant beside him brought a cup of warm water with ginseng slices, ready to serve him a drink.

  The young man did not open his mouth.

  Jing Ye was not angry. He glanced at the palace servant and said, "Drag him away and give him thirty lashes."

  A purple-robed eunuch immediately responded from behind, "Yes."

  ——Li Yanfu, the chief eunuch who served two emperors. When Jing Ye was able to tamper with the old emperor's medicine, he could not have done it without his help.

  Logically speaking, given Jingye's suspicious nature, he should have found a reason to silence such accomplices after stabilizing the political situation. However, Li Yanfu was only a eunuch after all. He had no real power, and his honor and favor all depended on the emperor's grace. He could not cause any big waves. Since he was convenient to use, Jingye simply kept him by his side.

  Knowing His Majesty's intention, Li Yanfu responded quickly but slowly. Before he could really touch the trembling palace servant who wanted to beg for mercy but didn't dare, he heard the young man's hoarse voice, "Jing Ye."

  Each word was spoken with great emphasis, as if it was squeezed out from his throat, filled with hatred.

  With his eyes on his nose and his nose on his heart, Li Yanfu knelt silently, and the other palace maids followed suit, kneeling on the ground with their heads bowed.

  The entire Linhua Palace was suddenly filled with the sound of a pin drop.

  Reading people's words and expressions is a basic skill for being a servant. All the palace servants who can serve in front of the emperor now know that although their emperor looks gentle on weekdays, if he is really angry, he will kill people without blinking an eye.