Arc 4: Chapter 105

Huo Ye knew what the new emperor wanted to hear.

  Although he didn't understand how he had offended the other party, he could keenly sense the faint hostility.

  Without mentioning the young man's courtesy to him, he replied, "...I, your humble servant, dare not speak nonsense."

  He hesitated, as if he had something to hide.

  "I heard that Ayun is renovating the mansion recently." His eyes swept across the man's complexion, which was darker than before he left the palace. Jing Ye nodded and ordered Li Yanfu to serve tea. He asked, "Is Mr. Huo also involved?"

  Huo Ye answered truthfully, "Yes."

  Then, pretending to be careless, he took the cup and revealed the marks on his palms that were cut by the grass.

  With the mind of the current emperor, he probably cannot stand to see a young man befriending any military general, even if he is just a captain of the imperial guards with little influence.

"I always ask you to stay with him, no wonder he feels resentful," Jing Ye sighed in a pretentious manner, his vigilance gradually disappearing, "In the end, it was I who implicated you."

  Huo Ye immediately said, "I am terrified."

  "Ayun suddenly lost his soldiers, and also hurt his foundation. Cause and effect are cyclical. Although Xu Chi committed suicide out of fear of punishment, he can no longer fight and seek revenge on the Tartars," Jing Ye spoke slowly, "... all these things combined, his temper has become a little weird. I have to ask Huo Qing to bear with it."

  If you tell a lie a thousand times, you will probably be able to fool even yourself. When Huo Ye caught a glimpse of the new emperor's face full of regret, he felt a chill.

  If he really had never known the truth of the Yanzhou case, he would have already been grateful for the new emperor's tolerance and would have been annoyed with the young man's lack of common sense and "willfulness".

  In fact, it was the new emperor's order that triggered this series of "discords" in the eyes of outsiders.

  "Your Majesty, your words are too serious," Huo Ye said calmly, gathering his thoughts, "Serving Your Majesty is my duty, and I will be loyal to my duties and will not hesitate to die."

  Such beautiful words may not be sincere by the ministers, nor believed by the monarchs, but when they are first heard, they can always make the emperor look very happy, even if only for a few breaths.

  "Very good, very good." Jing Ye finally decided to end the long trial and got to the point. "How is Ayun doing these days?"

  Huo Ye: "Zhang Yuanpan's medical skills are excellent. The general's external wounds have scabbed over and his cough has eased a little. However, he is still sleepy and afraid of the cold. He often feels drowsy and weak for several hours every day."

  Jingye nodded.

  The diagnosis given by the imperial physician was within his expectations. After all, the injury was so serious that a fine iron crossbow arrow pierced through the chest. It was a miracle that he could still survive.

  But he wanted to know more than that.

  "What else?" Jing Ye tapped his fingertips on the table twice and asked, "How is Ah Yun feeling? Is he sleeping well and eating well? Did any friends come to your house to persuade you?"

  "This..." The man hesitated for two seconds, probably not expecting him to ask such details, and replied, "Your Majesty, please forgive me. I have never noticed the general's appetite, but he seems to have nightmares and can't sleep well at night. Judge Zhang changed the prescription several times and sent me to get the medicine, but it has little effect."